4age air box

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

Post by warbstrd »

ok, the 4age engine doesnt have an air box just a tube with a big a$$ filter on the end, looks like APC crap to me.....should i get the actual air box/intake from a junk yard? WOW there is a TON of oil all over this engine....havent takin it out yet just looking at it....anyone know if my standard clutch pressure plate would work or should i get a centerforce pressure plate?

and anyone know of any good catalogs for toyota accessories because jegs and summit racing ar mainly for domestics. oh that reminds me....there is a complete throttle body kit for all "even fire" 4 cylinder cars in jegs catalog:
<a href='http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ ... rmenbr=361' target='_blank'>http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ ... nbr=361</a>
in the printed catalog it gives more info and says for EVEN FIRE only engines.....whats even fire mean?
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

The factory airbox for the AE86 4age is really inefficient. I'd stick with the big cone filter on the AFM if I were you. Just make sure it is properly oiled so it is filtering the way it should. Replace it with a same sized K&N if you have doubts.

You'll have to use the 4age 200mm flywheel (stock on the 4age you have). From what I understand, it will fit into the tercel 4wd bell housing. It is 8 bolt as opposed to the 6 bolt 3AC flywheel. I'm not sure if the tercel transmission input shaft splines will match the 4age clutch disk. Make sure you check before you try to put it together. I think there is another post on this forum about flywheels/clutches for 4ages and how they fit with the tercel transmission; you might want to find it and read it.

Personally I think the stock 4age will produce plenty of power for your tercel (Although most of the power is from 4200rpm-7000rpm). I would recommend installing the engine stock until you get it running well before making any modifications. If you decide to carburate it, you will have to use side draft carbs with a custom intake manifold and an aftermarket ignition system (expensive, unreliable, and generally not worth it unless you are building a race engine).

If you want to learn more about 4ages or ask questions about them you would be best off asking on: <a href='http://www.club4ag.com' target='_blank'>Club4ag</a> . I know lots about the engines as well, so feel free to ask here too.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

Post by warbstrd »

thanks ill have to buy another cone filter assembly, the one thats on it is to long and wont fit in the tercel. the only 2 things i have to have a machine shop do is make the flywheel fit and a new exhaust manifold, other than that everything should be ok. just wondering since im going almost twice the horse power should i get a more robust pressure plate or should the tercel pressure plate do fine. also going to figure out how to add the hydrolic clutch. dont know right now if i HAVE to, but i want to, havent got that far yet...waiting on saturday evening to start taking the 4ag out of the corolla.
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

I believe at this point that the 200mm flywheel on your Corolla GT-S will fit the Tercel 4WD bellhousing. I got a rough measurement by scaling a picture in Autocad knowing the clutch disc contact area, and got just about 250mm outside diameter, which is the same as the 3A-C flywheel. There is room for about 5mm more outside diameter than stock, but no more. I also asked someone on Club 4AG to measure one, and he said just over 10 inches which is just about 254mm so I think it will fit. I am real curious to find out though.