2nd barrel kick-in...

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

This is a poll for those with manual transmissions and tachs.

I'm trying to determine if the conditions under which the second barrel in the carb kicks in is typical for my car. There are no RPM specs for this in the manuals I have.

Pretty sure this is the second barrel...not the cam or ?

Mine will show a definite gain in power at around 2200-2400 RPM. This varies to some to some degree under different conditions...but not by more than 200 RPM or so....sometimes it happens a little later.

"If my memory serves me well", it used to happen around 2500.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

How do you know when your 2nd barrel kicks in again?
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

When you start to accelerate,about halfway through you will feel a slight power-gain and that should be your secondary butterfly valves opening-up. If you have an automatic,it may be harder to sence.Hey Takza,I looked at the results first and then it wouldnt let me vote,so heres my imfo. On my old carb it kicked~in sudenly about 2800.On my rebuilt it starts about 2400 and maintains a smooth(slight) powergain up~to and around 3200(Tops~out about the same as the old one).I like the new powerband but I worrie alittle about greater fuel~use. ;)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

I think the 2nd barrel operates mostly from the vacuum diaphram and the vacuum is from an internal passage in the carb. There is also some mechanical linkage boost at the end of the throttle stroke?

I'm not sure what you mean about "topping out"...as far as I can tell mine gives about the same power up thru 5K.

Doesn't seem to affect my MPG any....what does is constantly running up to and thru 3K with the pedal down pretty far. I TRY to shift around 2500 most of the time, but if there is traffic or a need for it...I'm ready to run it on up.

Could you try voting again? You only are allowed one vote under your member name.

The variations are interesting for sure.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Now i only get the "Results" part of the survey,but Ill try to Fanagle my way in as a guest,otherwize someone with an Auto.(Fingers?) can enten 2400 or Ice. You got me thinking about my Power-Curve Flatening out at 3200 and Im thinking my timeing might be advanced. Im go'na check~it~out. ;)
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Yeah,it not gona happen...This Program reminds me of "Hal" from 2001,any minute I expect it say "Im sorry Dave,I cant do that for you"...C.R.E.E.P.Y.!!! Dont leave your computer~on when you go to sleep,Takza,they Kill there unsuspecting owners First! So get someone with an Auto to submit a 2400 entry...BEFORE ITS TO LATE!!! :o :lol: :blink: :o :lol: