My Tercel was stolen from in front of my house 6/22/21
it is a two tone green color .. sr5,4wd Please contact Portland Police
case # 21-170140 Image
thanks. has yellow oregon plates AUP-353 ...thanks :(
simon guey
My tercel:: 85sr5

Re: Stolen: 1985 t4wd green/dark green Portland Oregon

Post by simon guey »

update: was found on side of road. few miles from my house a month after.
now has a rod knock maybe.. and slipping clutch is now really bad. I think the thiefs forgot to check the oil.
time to pull the engine out and rebuild ? or maybe sell it. nothing smashed or missing just was very bummed out . not sure what to do.
drafting3d
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 100% original

Post by drafting3d »

Thats so sad, how many theft posts have been on here over the years!
I had a Mitsubishi 4x4 that was attempted stolen then burnt righ outside my house one night, I still havent recovered from that shock...

Maybe turn it into a good thing, surely with all the 4ac powered Tercs around there will be a spare 3ac to rebuild to factory spec and enjoy 35 mpg.
drafting3d
My tercel:: 1985 SR5 100% original

Post by drafting3d »

Or even a 'new' bottom end conversion like a 4afe from a Chevy Nova / Toyo Corolla and put a 4ac head on it (retain carb, SOHC, ultra simple)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I'm glad you got it back. Looks really clean. I hope you can find a good engine to put in it.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

On the bright side, you got her back. If the body is solid/straight, that's better than any of mine and a great candidate for "improving" to your taste as you rework. Yes, it sucks that it was stolen and abused, but that's the past, I tend to look forward and not back.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

simon guey wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:33 pm update: was found on side of road. few miles from my house a month after.
now has a rod knock maybe.. and slipping clutch is now really bad. I think the thiefs forgot to check the oil.
time to pull the engine out and rebuild ? or maybe sell it. nothing smashed or missing just was very bummed out . not sure what to do.
Wow, crazy. Did you get any money from insurance to cover the repairs? Regardless, fixing it definitely gets my vote.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

What a shame. some idiot was driving it around not far from where it was stolen from? as if no one would notice an ancient Tercel4wd. Driving a 37 year old econo-box and never bothered to check the oil? Most stolen cars are recovered, my '84 T4wd was stolen from behind my work place when I was working late, they took my used $20 picknpull battery, some dirty coveralls, an ice ax I had in the back for hiking, a half case of energy drinks, and some garage sale tools out of the back and left it in a farmers field about 7 miles from where they stole it. whatever they thought they might get, they would have made more money flipping hamburgers that night.

Now you can pull the engine and just install new rod bearings by dropping the oil pan, and get a new clutch in it. if you have the right tools and the parts you need, that can be done in a day. fairly fast and straight forward.

OTOH, it might be a good time to consider up grading to a fresh rebuilt 4ac. with a performance cam, balanced and a new clutch.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Might want to get a Club too. Can't believe it got stolen- came from the factory with the best anti-theft device already installed for today's thieves (M/T.)
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

A former forum member here, Barto, relocated the clutch safety switch to the lower left dash panel. That way he could bump the car along for a few meters if he ran out of gas, but it also doubled as a theft deterrent because no one knew to press the little button on the dash when starting the car. I've always remembered that.
simon guey

Post by simon guey »

thanks for the encouraging words.
I needed a car asap and bought a 79 corolla. I will park the tercel till next spring and make a decision weather to rebuild or do a 4ac swap. if anybody in the pnw has a lead on a 4ac I'd be interested have been checking the pick and pull web site. I visited a nova with a 4-ac one spark plug hole was stripped . the cam was burnt and 1/4'' of sludge inside the valve cover.. not one dent on the car.. passed on it. there is a t4wd in Vancouver WA looks good but right now don't have the time or place to do the repair. I really think rod bearing and clutch is all it needs. just didn't have the motivation to tackle that job with the bad taste in mouth of the whole thing. been working on the corolla and loving it. only had it a week now towed it home not running for 6 years.. now registered and insured and zipping down the road. it has got me excited about fixing the t4wd.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Keep fighting the good fight Simon!
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
jbarrant9
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel 4WD "The Turd"

Post by jbarrant9 »

simon guey wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:51 am thanks for the encouraging words.
I needed a car asap and bought a 79 corolla. I will park the tercel till next spring and make a decision weather to rebuild or do a 4ac swap. if anybody in the pnw has a lead on a 4ac I'd be interested have been checking the pick and pull web site. I visited a nova with a 4-ac one spark plug hole was stripped . the cam was burnt and 1/4'' of sludge inside the valve cover.. not one dent on the car.. passed on it. there is a t4wd in Vancouver WA looks good but right now don't have the time or place to do the repair. I really think rod bearing and clutch is all it needs. just didn't have the motivation to tackle that job with the bad taste in mouth of the whole thing. been working on the corolla and loving it. only had it a week now towed it home not running for 6 years.. now registered and insured and zipping down the road. it has got me excited about fixing the t4wd.
I have a 4ac up in north Washington, but I go down south on occasion and could bring it down with me. Gotta keep these things on the road, and I really don't need a spare 4a.
-86 T4 "The Turd" 4ac swap, supercharger incoming
-92 Nissan Skyline LM7 Swap
-76 Olds Omega (For sale if anyone wants a manual x-body)
-Many other piles lying around
simon guey

Post by simon guey »

I would definitely be interested! thanks Jbarrant9.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

jbarrant9 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:51 am
I have a 4ac up in north Washington, but I go down south on occasion and could bring it down with me. Gotta keep these things on the road, and I really don't need a spare 4a.
So good of you J. That offer is what makes this forum worthwhile.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms