Tercel Carb Questions

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Kozuto_98
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 SR5 Wagon

Tercel Carb Questions

Post by Kozuto_98 »

I've had some more ideas rolling around in my head with the 4A-GE/FE build I'm working on for my Tercel and my main plan is leaning into bike carbs, but I got to thinking last night about the stock carbs from the 3A-C. These questions and ideas should be taken as more hypotheticals as I'm most likely not going to go with these ideas. But...

Would a single 3A-C carb be able to run a bigport 4A-GE? Would 2 3A-C carbs be too much for a 4A-GE bigport?
I spun this idea off the 3A-SU which uses twin carbs. I personally don't know a lot about this engine so I'm unsure if it uses 2 of the 2 barrels from the 3A-C or other carbs.
19c818cs-960.jpg

My brainstormed idea was blocking off the throttle hole on a 4A-GE manifold, cutting out the necessary holes for 1 or 2 3A-C carbs and running that over bike carbs. Would 2 carbs be too much fuel or air? Again this is all just ideas so I'd like to hear some opinions on it.

How much of the vacuum system used with these carbs is absolutely critical to run? There is a lot of extra vac stuff that wouldn't really have a place to go if 1 or 2 of these carbs were to be used so I'd like to know what could be removed from the vac system.

Fuel pressure is another thing I'm curious about. How much would be the upper limit of fuel pressure for these carbs?

The main takeaway I can see with this over bike carbs is labor vs cost. Bike carbs are less work, but cost more, while trying to use 3A-C carbs would be more work and less cost.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1987 Tercel Wagon SR5 4WD
1998 Honda Accord Coupe V6 J35 swap
1997 Acura CL (Sold for 4A-GE money)
RIP 2016 Civic (wrist pin recall)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Tercel Carb Questions

Post by Petros »

the factory 3ac carb needs all that vac gear and the primitive ECU and sensors to run properly, not likely you will ever be satisfied how it would run. it would be a lot of headachs to sort it out. I would not try it. A weber would be a better starting point, but really the bike carbs are actually cheap. look for guys up grading their crotch rockets who will be unloading the stock carb set cheap. it will likely be much easier to rig up a motor cycle carb manifold for the 4age, than to rig a way to get the 3ac carb to fit on it. the cheapest thing to actually do is rig up the wire bundles and fuel system to use the factory ECU and EFI system for the 4age. You can get everything you need from a wrecking yard, a parts car you buy from Craig's list, or from ebay/amazon. changing it over to carbs there will be many custom parts to fabricate to make it work, and likely a lot of trouble shooting to sort it out and make it drivable.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)