New ole number seven, sadly he's getting put down.

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

New ole number seven, sadly he's getting put down.

Post by splatterdog »

Haven't entered tercel on C-list for a while but just stumbled on a 300$ treasure trove of a parts car just over a state away. So glad everything came together to make it happen. Maybe it was karma since the friend who borrowed me the truck and trailer just had his CRV burn to the ground. After my seventh T4 made it home I returned the rig along with a nothing special but nothing wrong economical car of mine thats been sitting too long, to have, so his big red pig only has to come out as needed. I'm sure everyone has noticed fuel prices creeping up.

Anyway wow! Heroic measures against rust along with other improvements had been started but stalled out. Cant say I blame him. I won't be continuing them either. But again, wow. Lot of new steering, suspension(including a lift with what looks like brand new pathfinder springs), brakes, exhaust, cooper snows, carpet kit. And "only" 150k on the clock. "Running when parked" and sitting for 5 years but stored inside so it has 100% less moss than the last parts car. The .5 of my 2.5 running T4's just made the to do list for resurrection into Icehawk V2. But, that will be eclipsed by the next mod to Icehawk 1 that just got a lot closer to fruition thanks to this new addition. I think you all will be blown away. That's all I got to say about that..

The previous owner had at least lurked here. I revealed my T4wd persona but he did not. Didn't pry, maybe he prefers anonymity and I can respect that. Anyway, thanks again!

If you didn't get the reference in the title, feel free to call me Mad Jack. Sooner or later I might even resemble him. A T4 is also about the best mule on wheels you could ask for!
20210326_131405.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: New ole number seven, sadly he's getting put down.

Post by dlb »

Wow, sounds like a great find. I'm not clear though, what are your plans for this new one? Is it going to be another Icehawk?

I check the listings here regularly but there has been nothing in the way of 4wd Tercels or Corollas for quite some time. It's crazy how things change, I remember seeing them listed regularly back when I joined the forum 12 years ago. I guess rust and casual owners (as opposed to fanatics) keep whittling down the remaining few. It's a shame.
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Yes David, a good deal indeed! Before even attempting turning it over I stuck a camera down the plug holes and zero corrosion, scoring, perfect crosshatch. Put a shot of fluid film in just to be safe. Rigged up a gas can fuel supply since the tank is gone. Fired up and sounds great! Second lowest mileage T4 since #1, about 25 years ago. Just so happens this engine is replacing the engine from #1 that racked up almost 400k. Still runs but very tired.

This car will be dismantled. Had I acquired it before the Icehawk conversion took place this one might have gotten it instead. I would say it's about 2 winters of "body by MnDot" behind the hawk structurally and even better cosmetically. Always hurts sending a T4 to it's grave but not as bad when a rust free one gets crushed! I'm crushed when that happens.

It was definitely a weird week on the list. This one eluded the recent C-list roundup post that showed a runner here for 1100, that also sold right away. Had I had none, both would have been mine. Only the second time I've seen 2 listed locally at the same time. Glad I looked! Glad you keep looking too. Once a T4 owner always a T4 owner..
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

20210327_184528.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
duragauge
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel 4WD SR5

Post by duragauge »

Great find! I wonder if it was listed under the "auto parts" section on Craigslist? That's how I found mine for $500. It wasn't running so the owner listed it in the parts section (which also avoids Craigslist's $5 fee for cars).
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

duragauge wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:12 am Great find! I wonder if it was listed under the "auto parts" section on Craigslist? That's how I found mine for $500. It wasn't running so the owner listed it in the parts section (which also avoids Craigslist's $5 fee for cars).
Could be. I always use the search box on the main page. Even that might not find them all. The free parts car that turned in to the Icehawk 10 years later was not in a highly visible corner of the list. Can't remember exactly but it might have been in the free section, but it was listed as just "free 85 Toyota" and had been there 2-3 days. How a lowly scrapper didn't destroy it, I don't know. I'm sure you can imaging the excitement build as she said on the phone- It needs a clutch, it's a wagon, and I think it says 4wd on it. Drop everything, rescue mission engaged!!!! We both had a good laugh when I showed up in an identical twin. The tow truck driver I hired seemed a bit jealous.
MrWrench
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5. aka Spud

Post by MrWrench »

Great story! Glad to see another one was saved from the dreaded scrappers. Sadly I have a feeling many of them in the Rust Belt got beyond repairable to the average person and they were scrapped.
I always keep my eyes open and have ISO ads on Craigslist and market place to hopefully continue to score any and all!
1984 SR5. Lifted offroader with a snorkel. Aka "Thunderbucket"
1985 SR5. Daily driver. Aka "Spud"
1986 SR5. Dakar Rally clone build.