Different water pump impellers

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Different water pump impellers

Post by xirdneh »

Could the difference in impellers have an effect on heater core output. The left one produced 160 deg plus at vent.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
xirdneh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 87 tercel 4x4 wagon w/reringed engine, 83 tercel 4x4 wagon w/salvaged engine and 4.1 Diff's

Re: Different water pump impellers

Post by xirdneh »

B849085B-3D47-4EAB-B97A-DD37D65C1B6C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Love those Tercell 4x4 wagons but they sure suffer from road noise.
Kozuto_98
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 SR5 Wagon

Post by Kozuto_98 »

I came across the same thing a few months ago when I changed the water pump on my Tercel.
Do you find they make any difference in cooling performance?
1987 Tercel Wagon SR5 4WD
1998 Honda Accord Coupe V6 J35 swap
1997 Acura CL (Sold for 4A-GE money)
RIP 2016 Civic (wrist pin recall)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

If the coolant temp is properly regulated by the thermostat, I wouldn’t expect much difference. I suppose the water pump that moves more water could provide slightly better heat, but I wouldn’t expect it to be noticeable.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

there would be no difference in heat output at the heater, that is controlled by the thermostat. Verify you have a working thermostat (remove and test it in a pot of hot water on your stove, see the FSM for spec). if you need to replace it, buy a quality one, not cheap junk, not worth the $20 difference in price. you also have to verify the ducts are all clear of leaves and debris (and sometimes mouse nests!), and the flaps are all working properly with the heater controls. if clear, check the heater hoses are all run with out kinks, and valve is functioning properly.

if still no heat, you should try disconnecting the heater holes, flush out, and fill with white vinegar for about an hour, and flush out with strong hose (I like to collect the outflow in a bucket to see what came out, usually lots of flakes of grayish scales). sometimes it can take several vinegar soaks, eventually you will clean out enough of the scale so it works again.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)