Tercel Holley EFI?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Kozuto_98
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1987 SR5 Wagon

Tercel Holley EFI?

Post by Kozuto_98 »

I had a bit of a random thought pop in my head today.
From what I understand, the Holley 2 barrel carbs from the Ford Pinto will fit on the 3A-C intake manifold with some light massaging,
so that got me thinking about the Holley EFI kits. More specifically the kits meant for drop in replacements for V8 applications like the LS or 302.

What I didn't know is Holley sells a 2 barrel option for their sniper EFI kits.
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... ts/550-849

I wonder if these will fit in the same way the Pinto carb will fit.
1987 Tercel Wagon SR5 4WD
1998 Honda Accord Coupe V6 J35 swap
1997 Acura CL (Sold for 4A-GE money)
RIP 2016 Civic (wrist pin recall)
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel SR5

Re: Tercel Holley EFI?

Post by AugustusFerdinand »

Don't know about the 3A, but if I remember correctly SirFoxx has one of the Holley EFI kits on his 7AGE car.
1983 Toyota Tercel SR5 - 7AGE swap in progress
Kozuto_98
Top Notch Member

Post by Kozuto_98 »

AugustusFerdinand wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:17 pm Don't know about the 3A, but if I remember correctly SirFoxx has one of the Holley EFI kits on his 7AGE car.
Nice.
If I ever get my hands on a second Tercel I'd love to test the Sniper EFI 2 barrel kit on the 3A-C.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

somewhere in the archives someone adapted a throttle body injection set up (TBI) to the 3ac manifold in his tercel using all junk yard parts. t he TBI came from a 3 cylinder Geo metro/Swift engine. It looked like a nice set up, he listed all the parts he used to make it all work. As I recall there was still some fine tuning, but he dropped off the forum before he made his final post.

The other problem is the metro is hard to find these days because they too have become a cult car that gets close to 50 mpg, so people are rebuilding them and getting them back on the road.

Are there any more current production cars with a simple EFI set up that might be easy adapt to the tercel?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Kozuto_98
Top Notch Member

Post by Kozuto_98 »

I think I've seen that thread before when I first joined this forum.
The metros are for sure getting hard to find. Last time I ever seen one on the road was my freshman year of high school, an older friend drove one.

The dual point injection from the Honda D15B1 engines might work on the 3A-C with some work. Not sure how well the tune in the ecu
would work with a different engine. (double the valves, maybe higher compression, ect)
The same problem might start to show in some years to come because this engine, at least in the USDM was only found in the more base level
Civic hatchbacks, and I can say for sure spotting one of those in the wild, at least in my area, is like spotting a unicorn.
AugustusFerdinand
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel SR5

Post by AugustusFerdinand »

That would be user Gasoline Fumes with Hornbeam, last time he posted was in 2011.

I had actually started down that route, before switching to a 7AGE swap, having come across a mint Suzuki Swift in a junkyard (seriously, low mileage, clean interior, no rust, no idea why it was there) and pulled the entire TBI setup from the manifold up including the computers and wiring harness. Ended up selling it to someone else when the TBI conversation, as it inevitably does, came up again last year.
1983 Toyota Tercel SR5 - 7AGE swap in progress