Tercel back on the road

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Tercel back on the road

Post by Petros »

I have seen simultaneous failures of unrelated components too, and it drive you nuts. you keep thinking it must be something related to that repair you just did. becasue that seems like the obvious, and most often the correct assumption. yet, sometimes it does happen, and you can not find it.

When I was in high school in 1974, taking autoshop class at age 16, the instructor was very cleaver: he told us a number of stories, with great detail about the gory injuries sustained, when a mechanic was careless with certain repairs, making sure we remember why we must follow procedures. those stories stick with me to this day, because they creeped me out. they are stories like yours, about what happens when you do not use jack stands when you craw under a car, and depend only on the jack to hold it up when you are under it. Every time I must craw under any car, I put it on some good quality jackstand, and after I lower the jack, push hard on the car is all directions to verify it will not move, before I go under it. Graphic memories about those stories still very vivid in my mind.

but most of those did not have such as good an outcome as you did. You were lucky...now please, it should be easy to always remember to put a jack stand under the car before you slide under it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)