Misc. project prep

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Misc. project prep

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

I got the “kitted” carb back on the car today, it started and idled fine (“cold” idle still not functioning), didn’t test drive as I have a leaking axle seal and want to change my trans fluid.

I also made some progress on the axle removal/install tool as well as a “poor man’s” press for u-joints. I still need to weld the handle on the axle tool.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
MrWrench
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5. aka Spud

Re: Misc. project prep

Post by MrWrench »

I finally changed my transmission fluid in Spud after a little over a year since it's last flush. Came out a little darker than I would have liked. Found some glitter at the bottom. I guess that may partially explain why reverse has gotten a little less chunky to engage...
1984 SR5. Lifted offroader with a snorkel. Aka "Thunderbucket"
1985 SR5. Daily driver. Aka "Spud"
1986 SR5. Dakar Rally clone build.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Misc. project prep

Post by NWMO »

Hey Luke,

The tool wasn't as helpful as I hoped, but it's not bad to have either. My oil was a little milky due to the failed half shaft seal letting a little water in I assume. I also found some glitter, but this was the first change after roughly 1,000 miles by me and who knows how many years of sitting/driving prior (as this trans came out of my parts car). While I obviously renewed the gear oil, I figured to find some glitter on this first change after running a bit.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain