Stabiliser bushing question

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Smatters09
My tercel:: 1983 toyota tercel wagon 4wd 5speed

Stabiliser bushing question

Post by Smatters09 »

So my 83 needs the front sway bar bushings mainly the ones in the control arm done i know they have a kit from super pro but hear they suck to do especially if your car is lifted like mine I wanted to know if they still have the stock ones around or if someone's found an alternative or does anyone have a set that are still good? I figured they lasted this long im ok with stock lol thanks
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Re: Stabiliser bushing question

Post by The Professor »

I bought OEM bushing and tubes from the Toyota dealer, but this was maybe 4 years ago?

The suspension lift makes if difficult to install because you're essentially soaking up all the droop travel in the front suspension by installing a taller spring, thus forcing the front ARB (which also acts as a trailing rod) to run fully articulated all the time. While the "Avacadaver" lift is cheap and easy to install, sadly, it ignores all the important little details that come with lifting a vehicle.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
Smatters09
My tercel:: 1983 toyota tercel wagon 4wd 5speed

Post by Smatters09 »

Yeah that's the lift I did id imagine you could build your own spacer to drop the swaybar down some to make it more level
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Good Morning Seth,

I don't know that I've renewed those bushings since the lift, but even before the lift, it took a little persuasion with straps, jacks, etc., but wasn't a horrible job. If you're really fighting it, you may consider dropping the front sway bar mounts to get bolted in to your control arms and then use jacks/straps to get your front mounts back in place.
While the "Abracadaver" lift is cheap and easy to install, sadly, it ignores all the important little details that come with lifting a vehicle.
-- While the "Cadillac" mentality is beneficial at times, I've been lifted for 50k miles or so, had no problems getting a good alignment and haven't noticed a significant loss of life on front half-shafts. That said, I don't think I would go much/any higher with a suspension lift, but may consider a little body lift down the road as Prof likes on the Subies. It's not quite as easy on the Tercels, but I think it could be done reasonably for a DIY owner. We saw last weekend, a little lift doesn't hurt when playing off-road. Day to day driving wouldn't find a benefit very often, except maybe pushing through significant snow.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

My first t4 had a poor man's lift (camry springs up front) and I didn't have any more problems re-installing the sway bar than usual. I used ratchet straps on the ends of the bar to suck them together a bit so that they fit easily into the holes on the control arms. Like this:
Swaybartrick.jpg
Credit to Keith for that idea. I think it was him, anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.