Improving Tercel Visibility

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Was a stock 1985, SR5, 4WD, 6-speed manual, Wagon.

Improving Tercel Visibility

Post by ALiveSR5 »

As impressive as the mighty Tercel 4WD is, for years, I noticed that other drivers kept pulling out in front of me, then had a look of surprise on their faces, when I seemingly appeared out of nowhere.

I finally concluded that my dark blue Tercel with a black grill and bumper made my car difficult for other drivers to see.

My solution was to remove the 4WD plate from the grill then paint the grill silver. Then I found stick-on LED lights that exactly fit in the grill openings.

I cut and mounted pieces of plexiglass behind the grill, with nylon bolts, washers, and nuts, using a rubber grommet behind the back washer to keep from over tightening and to absorb road shock. Then I stuck the LEDs onto the plexiglass.

On the fuse block, I found a connection that was only hot, when the ignition switch was on. I was lucky enough to find the perfect switch at Radio Shack (remember them?) and was able to mount it with an existing screw on the left dash panel. I just left the switch on, so the LEDs would come on automatically - daytime running lights.

Countless times, after having done that, I could tell by other driver's reactions that they could actually see my Tercel much better - often people would start pulling out then slam on the brakes, when they noticed my car. Those who did pull out in front of me, usually did so from a much farther distance.

The other benefit was saving my Silver Star headlights for nighttime driving - they were bright but had a short lifespan.

I believe that making my Tercel more visible to other drivers helped avoid potential collisions, a factor that helped me keep my Tercel for 25 years.

Here is a front view:
~
TercelFront.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
Blank_Man
My tercel:: 1984 DLX

Re: Improving Tercel Visibility

Post by Blank_Man »

Alive,

Bit of an unintentional pun! I like your thinking. Recently, my friend was T-boned and it was bit rough. I suddenly realized that the Tercel doesn't have the modern safety of a new car and maybe a broken arm wouldn't be the only issue i'd have. I haven't driven my Tercel that much (300m) but since I but my roof rack with a basket I feel the same way. People notice a bit more.

My only additional thought is to install the brightest LED side marker you can find. Might help driver notice as well.

I can tell am getting old - that i spend time and money to be safe.

Thanks for the write up and great idea.

Any chance you can send a close up of the LED lights?

Thanks!
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

I've noticed that the USA is the only country (maybe Canada as well?) that mandate side markers. no other country I think.
I'm sure however it wouldn't hurt to have brighter LEDs all round.
Interestingly some friends and I recently dismantled an Japanese domestic market privately imported car (I live in Australia) there was no door reinforcement steel bars compared to the exact same model that we got in australia. Maybe you could get more steel welded into the doors?
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member

Post by ALiveSR5 »

Blank_Man wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:29 am
Any chance you can send a close up of the LED lights?
Hey, Blank_Man. I got these at AutoZone and they fit perfectly snug in the grill openings. I stuck them on plexiglass so I would not have to rely on friction or glue to hold them in. Also, I can remove them as sets, like when I had to repaint the grill.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.
~
LEDsOn.jpg
LEDsOff.jpg
LEDsPackage.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No other vehicle that I have ever owned had a heart and soul like my 1985 Tercel SR5 4WD Wagon. :D
~
Great minds may think alike but it is the doers who see their visions become reality. :?
BlackStraw

Post by BlackStraw »

I had an unsettling experience with visibility in a tight parking lot once - it was actually a Datsun pickup, but the situation could very much be applicable to the design of early Tercels. I was approaching a parking lot to enter by turning left, and a fellow was coming out of the parking lot also waiting to turn left. I had the right of way from the road, so with my signal on, proceeded to start turning - at the same time the other guy lurched forward and almost hit me. I said something rude to vent my frustration, and went in. As I'm parking a few moments later, this knob has gotten out of his vehicle and is strutting over and it appears he seriously wants to have a good old fashioned fistfight. Both of us are pissed off because the other guy is in the wrong and a crappy driver.
Later on that day I'm thinking about it and it occurs that even with my signal light flashing, the design of the bumper was such it might not have been visible from the side where this other vehicle was positioned. Now every vehicle from the last 25 years or so you can see the corner turn signals from a huge angle of visibility, but that was not the case in many older cars. So years later I had an 86 hatchback with a similar bumper shape, and so I installed a couple of supplementary LED signal flashers on the side of the rubber bumper moulding. They were spliced directly into the regular signal lights and the average person would never know they weren't stock.
As you can see from the bottom photo, because the front signal is inset so far back into the bumper, at that angle you are unable to tell if the corner signal is flashing or not.

ALiveSR5
Top Notch Member

Post by ALiveSR5 »

BlackStraw wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:09 am So years later I had an 86 hatchback with a similar bumper shape, and so I installed a couple of supplementary LED signal flashers on the side of the rubber bumper moulding.
Excellent solution :!: Very nice installation and better than most OEM solutions that I have seen. On new vehicles, I have trouble seeing the front and side-facing turn indicator, because they are so close to the headlamp or lack contrasting backgrounds. There is no missing the LEDs that you installed.

Thanks for sharing this.
~
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Lighting always helps. A Ron paint job would help too. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8320&hilit=rockin+ron

Ultimately the best method is my motorcycle policy, EVERYONE IS TRYING TO KILL YOU AT ALL TIMES!!!!

At least we have some of the best visibility possible to keep an eye on everyone. A quality convex rear view mirror allows at least 180 degrees of view with just a glance.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

there were a few members on this forum that rigged the side marker lights, the ones next to the headlights, to flash with the turn indicator. put an LED replacment bulb in that housing, and it should be easier to see from all angles. and its outward appearance has not changed at all, so you that "vintage" '80's econobox original look is preserved.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)