turbo

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

Post by warbstrd »

theres a thread going on at club4ag about a guy making a turbo kit for the 4ac..hes been making it for quite some time now....i suppose it could also be used for the 3ac if he ever finishes.
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

War,how did your Webber set~up workout and what was the final cost? :)
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

I sure would be interested as an alternative to swapping the engine, but of course if you swap your engine you will probably have more alternatives. It all comes at a cost. The horsepower gains I'm interested in though.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

i'd like a turbo for my 3ac - i wanna hear it make the noise when the gears change :P
warbstrd
Top Notch Member

Post by warbstrd »

gave me better hp...i could feel it, but since my terc doesnt have ANY emmisions i couldnt get the carb dialed in perfectly. it was good just not perfect. and i was reading somewhere just the other day that i needed that check valve that is in line between the carb and the vac. adv. on dist. .....so the dist. wont increase timing as fast when you accelerate and make the engine go ping-ping. that would have taken care of the problem...seemed everytime i stepped on the gas the car would act a little like it was missing....that check valve would have stopped that problem... for 500.00 dollars it wasnt worth the power increase though. considering i paid 750.00 for my gts corolla for its engine. oh the other thing i really didnt like about the weber carb...NO A/C IDLE UP.....turned a/c on and car idled at 600. weber wont fit without putting a hood scoop on car or getting a 1in. high k&n filter. still the 1inch high filter hits the hood.
the carb itself was only about 350.00 or so, but adding in the adapter plate to put it on the tercel and shipping it came to pretty close to $500.00.
Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Thats to bad,I guess Ill keep looking around.Im going to be off-roading so Im not looking for much power increse.I was thinking of a tuned carb and exaust(Pacesetter?-2"-flowmaster)for more torq and possibly better milage. Thanks. ;)
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

Higher flowing exhaust will reduce your low end power and increase your high end power. Fine for the street, but not good for 4wding.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Thereminator wrote: exaust(Pacesetter?-2"-flowmaster)for more torq and possibly better milage.  Thanks.  ;)
"What engines need is low backpressure, but high exhaust stream velocity. A fast-moving but free-flowing gas column in the exhaust helps create a rarefaction or a negative pressure wave behind the exhaust valve as it opens. This vacuum helps scavenge the cylinder of exhaust gas faster and more thoroughly with less pumping losses. An exhaust pipe that is too big in diameter has low backpressure but lower velocity. The low velocity reduces the effectiveness of this scavenging effect, which has the greatest impact on low-end torque."

<a href='http://www.magnaflow.com/05news/magazine/05sportc.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.magnaflow.com/05news/magazin ... rtc.htm</a>

Getting my Walker downpipe and generic converter welded together right now.

Converter has a 2" ID pipe & is probably rated for up to a 5.9L engine? It's what they sold me for the Tercel...it's not as long as the current one.

My minimum ID after the converter is going to be about 1 7/8"...ss flexpipe, then going thru a glasspack with no louvers.

Since the converter is located between the front & rear wheels...it's the first thing to hit the ground? Will try to mount it up as high as possible.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Most Excelent WeedHopper,We will await a Full~Report! :)