Radiator Swap

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
4wdest8
My tercel:: 1988 Tercel 4WD

Radiator Swap

Post by 4wdest8 »

Hello guys I am a new member to this forum just wanted to throw this out there. Have you ever wondered what you would do if your radiator was busted on a long trip or whatever and obviously no parts store carries our cars radiators in stock and you have to wait 2 to 3 days? Well look no further I have a solution it has been tested and tried and I can honestly say it's a success. Mind you I still have to make some mounts and whatnot but I have successfully concluded that a 1993 Honda Civic 1.5 radiator does the job quite well and you add on a aftermarket push / pull fan to the front it works wonders. For some reason it won't allow me to post pictures so if you need the pictures please message me and I will email them to you. you have a solution when you are out in the middle of nowhere with only an AutoZone or O'Reilly's to work with and yes they do have this radiator in stock ready to buy
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Radiator Swap

Post by Petros »

That is a great piece of information. thanks for posting it.

in most big cities, there will be some auto parts store that has one for the T4wd (you will have to drive to go get it), but that is not most of the country.

What is the dimensions of the '93 Civic radiator? how many rows of tubes does it have (or how thick is the core)? Seems there are a lot of aftermarket performance raditators for the Civic, if adapting it is not a too much trouble, might be worth looking at for a the 4age or 4afe engine swap. the biggest issue is the height, and the location of the upper and lower rad hoses.

I have always thought there was something else out there that would work for the Tercel4wd, I just never looked into it further than walking around the wrecking yard looking under the hood of other cars.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)