Spare parts

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
brakejagg
My tercel:: 1986 4wd

Spare parts

Post by brakejagg »

Hey guys! Unfortunately, I rear ended someone this weekend in the Tercel. Fortunately however, there doesn't seem to be any damage to the engine, other than a crack in the timing belt cover. Does anyone know how much this Tercel shares with the standard tercels of the same chassis? I'm going to do as much bending and hammering as I can to get everything back together, but in case I need to head to a scrap yard to pick some extra parts, I was wondering if I actually need to find another 4x4 wagon, or if a standard Tercel would do. My main concerns at the moment are the metal cases/backing (not sure what they're actually called) for the headlights, the plastic fixtures for the turn signals, and the main steel part that runs horizontally between the headlights and contains the hood latch.

Any input is appreciated, thanks!!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Spare parts

Post by Petros »

the horizontal member that hold the hood latch is the same for FWD and 2wd. as are the front fenders and hood the same. Radiator will interchange but most FWD have a smaller single row radiator, the 4wd should have a thicker double row radiator for better cooling. the single row one works except in a high demand situation (like going up a long steep hill in the summer).

but the headlight assemblies, the corner marker lights and the grill, and all the trim are unique to the 4wd, and the front bumper that goes with it. you can swap over the whole front end trim/headlight/bumper together. the bumper height on the 4wd is different because the front struts are about an inch (25mm) taller, so they lower the front bumper on the 4wd about an inch (and the headlight trim, grill, etc) to meet federal bumper height requirements.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX, 1986 4WD SR5, 1985 4WD SR5, 1983 4WD SR5

Re: Spare parts

Post by Abletobecain »

I should have the headlight cans, corner lights, and turn signals if you're interested. PM me and we can work it out.
1977 BMW R100S 1WD ("Brunhilda"/Summer Fun)
1983 DLX Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Charlie"/Daily Driver)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Sprocket"/Off-road-Camping)
1985 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Lucky"/Project)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Cadaver"/Parts Car)
1985 Ford F250 6.9IDI ("Franklin"/Hauler)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Ravensburger"/in a million pieces)
2006 BMW 530XI Wagon ("Inga"/Roadtripper)
1969 Mercury Montego MX Convertible ("Big Ed"/My Dad's Old Car)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Al"/for sale soon)