Finally got my roof racks installed!

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Finally got my roof racks installed!

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

I finally got my roof racks installed last night. Here are a couple of pics parked at work today. They are nice heavy racks off a late 90s Mazda I believe. I did shorten them some. I should get a rain test tomorrow or Wednesday.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Finally got my roof racks installed!

Post by Petros »

nice work, looks like it belongs on it.

Probably not a good idea to put heavy loads on the sheet metal roof, so it should get a basket or perhaps some rails to support the cargo.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Wow, those look awesome. How did you fasten them to the car? If you took pics along the way, you should post a 'how to' for these.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Petros, I kept the racks pretty close to the outside edge so they sre pretty well supported. I still need to trim the width, but I have two cross supports that will carry the load (typically “J” frames for the kayaks or a future basket. I did some shaping/grinding to allow easy removal/addition of the cross supports so I can pull them when not in use (I don’t need any more drag than necessary). For very rare, short distance, heavy loads, I think a piece of 3/4” plywood would span nicely.
D99C865F-7D00-44B4-A2B8-467341FF6D09.jpeg

dlb, nothing fancy for install. Removed the ceiling cover, drilled some holes and then siliconed for water proofing and bolted on with larger washers.
678BD5DB-C94B-47F1-B6B2-AC236F1FFCA3.jpeg
C2DAF2E3-076E-47E8-BB3B-D7C24C8FFD05.jpeg
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain