Coolant tank

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Benrad
My tercel:: 1983 wagon

Coolant tank

Post by Benrad »

Just purchased an 84 tercel. These things are sweet. Needs some tlc. One of the items is a coolant reservoir/tank, it is connected to the washer fluid so looking for the unit or something that I can somewhat easily retrofit. Any suggestions? Stealership can't get, no luck rockauto, or oriellys. Thanks.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Coolant tank

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum!

those are wrecking yard items only. the problem is they are all the same age, and the plastic starts to break down and they crumble apart. some seem to do it earlier than others. where are you located?
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Benrad

Post by Benrad »

Southwest Colorado. Abusive location on plastics. Probably try to retrofit something in there.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Southwest Colorado? WHERE? Are you kidding me?

I think I have 1-2 good tanks left somewhere, as well as a bunch of parts I would GIVE YOU!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Benrad

Post by Benrad »

I'm located Ridgway Colorado. Near telluride and Montrose. You? Sorry wasn't getting email when a post gets a response.
Benrad

Post by Benrad »

Looks like you are in Farmington? You can give me a text on my cell. 5026454438. Don't head that often but could maybe make a trip.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

Ah yes, I'm in Farmington. Hell if you're in ridgeway I'll box up everything I have left and drop it off to you next time I go through which is once a month or so.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
Theartofthetercel
My tercel:: 1983 Toyota Tercel 4wd

Post by Theartofthetercel »

I am looking for the coolant tank as well. Has anyone retro-fitted something from another Toyota maybe? Thanks!
Benrad

Post by Benrad »

I ended up just putting some rtv on cracked area on inside. Since it is an overflow it is not pressurised and doesn't exchange fluid to radiator.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

But it does exchange coolant with the radiator, via the tube and valves in the radiator cap. when the fluid expands as it heats up, it is forced past the pressure valve in the cap, and into the coolant recovery tank for temp storage. when it all cools back down, the coolant is drawn back into the radiator via the smaller inner valve on the cap through the hose. that is why it is called a coolant recovery tank, it gets cycled back into the radiator. Also why working valves in the cap are important for proper operation, and it is recommend you replace the radiator cap every 2-4 years with a new one as part of the routine maintenance.

It prevents the toxic coolant from spilling out on the ground, and also saves you from having to top up the radiator at regular intervals like we used to do before there were coolant recovery tanks.

though you are correct, it is not under much pressure, it is vented to the atmosphere. you just have to contain the coolant there for when it is ready to be cycled back into the radiator.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Benrad

Post by Benrad »

Thank you for clarifying!