gas in oil and clips for ceiling cover

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

gas in oil and clips for ceiling cover

Post by NWMO »

Good morning all,

I have searched some without luck and have two unrelated questions:

On the 83' we purchased last winter (it's just been sitting and moved with us), I am quite certain there is fuel in the oil. I would first expect a failed fuel pump to be the problem and second possibly question if a bad carb/float set-up could create the problem as well? thoughts?

Secondly, I removed the ceiling cover to mount some new racks on the Rusty Frog (still need to do that), but was wondering if the small black clips for the ceiling cover are still available anywhere?

TIA,

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: gas in oil and clips for ceiling cover

Post by Petros »

there are only two ways gasoline can get in the oil that I can think of: bad fuel pump diaphame, leaks fuel into the valve cover area and mixes with the oil. Or if you are running too rich and it washes down the cylinder walls and past the rings.

A leaky fuel pump does not mean it will not pump fuel to the carb, it just means some if it is leaking into the area under the diaphragm, there is a drain hole on the underside of the fuel pump and you will usually get fuel dripping from it when it is running.

Running too rich could be from a number of sources: bad needle valve in the float bowl, leaky AAP diaphragm, plugged or gummy main fuel metering jet, etc.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: gas in oil and clips for ceiling cover

Post by NWMO »

Thanks Peter.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain