Found: Replacement Molded Carb-to-Air Cleaner Vacuum Hose

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Found: Replacement Molded Carb-to-Air Cleaner Vacuum Hose

Post by The Professor »

Just thought I'd share this find with the community. I was pulling my air cleaner off for some carb tuning and the hose that connects from the base of the carb to the underside of the air cleaner just popped off the carb, hose clamp and all. To me, this signaled a potential vacuum leak. The hose was pretty hard and was obviously not long for this world. (*Assumes this hose is NLA, should double check*)

To complicate the matter, the hose is molded, so replacing it with a straight section of hose could kink the replacement, or would require a long length to avoid a kink. Wanting to do things the right way meant the replacement for this hose needed to be molded as well, to avoid a kink. So down to my local auto parts store I went, hose in hand. After digging through their selection of off the shelf molded hoses, I settled on Gates P/N 18129, a coolant hose found on the Saturn Vue and mid-sized GM vans, the GMC Savanna and Chevy Express.

You only use a small section of the hose on the left hand side of the image above. Trim about 3/4 in. off the left side, then trim to match the length of the original. The replacement hose isn't molded in as tight a radius as the original hose, but it should work!
Last edited by The Professor on Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Found: Replacement Molded Carb-to-Air Cleaner Vacuum Hose

Post by splatterdog »

Might want to double check oil resistance. https://mykin.com/rubber-chemical-resistance-chart-4. It looks like a common hose so routine replacement wouldn't be terrible though.

Fuel/pcv/vacuum hose is a much better choice. A plastic or brass elbow can help deal with the bends. Otherwise make a loop..
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member

Post by The Professor »

Well, they don't make them in Vinton, so what are you gonna do?
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

A junkyard search might provide a better hose that fits. That's if there's still much for yards near you. I did just remove an air box from a 2000 Camry to do the fuel filter and the purge hoses(5/16-8mm) also in the way had some straight sections and bends. If those would fit, they would certainly hold up well. Nissan's usually have a few hoses going on too. Don't bother with Euro's, everything is usually crispy after 10 years.
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member

Post by The Professor »

I would never install used rubber hoses on my car, unless they were obviously BRAND NEW before the car was scrapped. This hose will do for now and eliminates a potential vacuum leak, as I chase down the last of the gremlins.
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Given no other easy choices I would and have. Choices continually decrease for old cars. Even brake rotor choices are getting scarce for T4's. At the very least you could ID what does fit and maybe it's still available new. I've seen quite a few hose substitutes turn to mush over the years, sometimes collapsing or swelling shut internally with no outside indication. So just keep an eye on that..
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member

Post by The Professor »

Luckily it is exposed any time I need to take the air cleaner off, or tune the carb. I will watch it.
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
Termell
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel

Post by Termell »

The Professor wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:44 am I would never install used rubber hoses on my car, unless they were obviously BRAND NEW before the car was scrapped. This hose will do for now and eliminates a potential vacuum leak, as I chase down the last of the gremlins.
Had the same experience here with a used rubber hose. We tried one that looks like good but eventually got some leaks after a few months.