speedi sleeve for front of crankshaft

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

speedi sleeve for front of crankshaft

Post by NWMO »

Good morning all,

I'm right at 3,000 miles on the 4a rebuild and everything seems to be breaking in nicely. As such, I want to address a careless error on my part and likely speedi sleeve the crank shaft snout. It got to leaking oil pretty good in the first 500 miles and I found the nicked snout. After some emory cloth and a new seal, it has slowed greatly (haven't added oil in 2.500 miles, but it is down a little and still marks it's territory). I would like to stop it all together, any recommendations on a speedi sleeve/seal kit?

TIA,

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: speedi sleeve for front of crankshaft

Post by NWMO »

Vidoes make things seem pretty straight forward. I won't have a lot of room for swinging a hammer obviously, can a small jack be used to press on pushing against the bumper, etc.? Install width would seem like the other main thing to confirm, so once installed, it doesn't interfere with the balancer. Also, from past post, I was under the impression that some of these came with new seals to match the sleeve OD. The videos I watched used ultra thin sleeves and stock seals (which would be nice).

Best brands for sleeve? or are they all pretty similar? I saw one that was chrome finished?

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Stainless if available. I haven't looked but if there isn't a catalog listing they can be sourced by dimensions(diameter and depth). I usually pull the rad and the upper core support for much easier timing work. The sleeves are thin and don't require much force. Getting them on straight is the hardest part.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks Splatterdog,

It looks like National 99128 is what I need and it is SS. Do you use loctite when installing?? It's meant to be a friction fit, but at least one video I watched used loctite. I assume I would just need to give the shaft end a light coat of oil before driving the sleeve on.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

Loctite isn't a bad idea, when wet it also acts as an insertion promoter. Only thing I oil is the seal lip and it's sealing surface. I also go overkill and apply a thin film of rtv to the outside of the seal. Extra measure of sealing and another insertion promoter..
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks splatterdog.

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
marlinh
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 'Everett' Blue 87 4WD Wagon (Rocky 86, recently retired)

Post by marlinh »

Here's a link to a step by step to install a speedi sleeve.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9679
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I think rock auto just had the sleeve on sale for the tercel crank. check it out.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)