Time for a roof rack.

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Time for a roof rack.

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

Moved some of my empty beehive boxes on Sunday and a few slid off the roof of the Terc. Main nuisance ended up being it popped the windsheild wiper arm off. On the bright side, it was an easy fix and I got some cleaning done.

Sorry about some of the pic orientations. If I take in portrait, it seems they still load in landscape.

C9ECCE87-3EC3-4B14-9F7C-0B1BFE445861.jpeg
7E7EF7D1-FC82-4E04-B2E4-FEAFA06A0F5F.jpeg
3F77DA08-DD32-4FC9-BC02-809EDEDA430C.jpeg
920DC49B-FFE6-45CF-A53E-5014FA4F1671.jpeg
PS - I like the look/size of Mr. Wrench's roof rack, but I will probably set it up to be easy on/easy off. 95% of my driving is highway to work and back and I'm certain the added drag would hurt the MPG. I will likely go to the JY and find some "rack" sides off whatever looks good and install them on the Terc. I will go through the roof (near the outside where is should be stout) with the connections and hopefully I will keep any cross members with the basket so drag is limited.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Re: Time for a roof rack.

Post by dlb »

I've used gutter-mounted roof racks, and also installed stock t4 racks using riv-nuts. I wrote about the stock racks here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7697

Each has their pros and cons but overall, I liked the ones I mistakenly called the US stock racks the most. They are very adjustable and the all the cross bars can be easily removed for optimum aerodynamics if you don't use them often. Plus riv-nuts are just super cool and I like using them wherever I can, lol.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Here us a pic of what appears to be a little heavier duty roof “basket”, though at second glance it looks smallish in size. I like the idea of setting it up with the 4 connection points and being able to easily remove the basket and two cross members.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
MrWrench
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5. aka Spud

Post by MrWrench »

The roof rack on mine is the rain gutter mounts that were off of an old van. They can be removed pretty easily by just spinning off the four end caps and lifting the entire thing off as a whole.
Just an option if you have difficulties finding any bars that fit the car.

The basket is rated for 250lbs. It fluctuates in price every so often. I watched the Amazon cart for a few weeks before I purchased it.
IMG_20190609_110656.jpg
IMG_20190609_110716.jpg
Screenshot_20190606-203754.png
1984 SR5. Lifted offroader with a snorkel. Aka "Thunderbucket"
1985 SR5. Daily driver. Aka "Spud"
1986 SR5. Dakar Rally clone build.