Group Buy: Custom Addco Anti-roll Bars

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Group Buy: Custom Addco Anti-roll Bars

Post by The Professor »

*I will update this post as necessary*

Alright folks, I think we've come to a point in the lifecycle of the AL25 Tercel that we need to start looking into having parts made specifically for our little adventure-mobiles. Front anti-roll bars have been NLA for a long time and the supply of quality used parts is quickly drying up. There is a known issue with the OEM anti-roll bars failing due to rust where they attach to the front control arms.

My proposal to the forum is that we pool our efforts and produce new, replacement front anti-roll bars. I've spoken with a few people at Addco and we would need to commit to buying about 10 anti-roll bars for them to invest in the tooling for the parts. http://www.addco.net/aftermarket/catalog/toyota/ They list a few options for the AL-chassis Tercels, both 2WD and 4WD, but only for the rear end. I don't have a price quoted yet, but I would estimate that each bar would cost somewhere between $200-400 (probably on the low end of that) and we could have them built to whatever specifications we wanted. Larger diameter than stock, perhaps a chamfer where the threaded section meets the solid bar to reduce the chance of a crack forming over time?

Let's use this thread to discuss what we'd like to have in a front anti-roll bar. I'll maintain a list of those interested in joining the group buy and will act as the liaison between the Tercel forum and Addco. I won't ask for any money until the rubber hits the road, but if someone has a spare bar sitting around, we may need to send one to Addco as a template.

Member (# of bars):
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Group Buy: Custom Addco Anti-roll Bars

Post by NWMO »

Professor,

Thank you for spearheading this effort. My daily driver is in good shape, I haven't taken the time to check out my second car. Depending on demand and pricing, I may try to help out if needed. Thanks again.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Erikwi
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1988 stock auto

Post by Erikwi »

how can i get the rear one?
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Erik,

I just removed the rear “anti-sway” bar and don’t miss it. If you really want one, pm me and I’ll get pics/price.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain