Car eating fuel pumps - things to check?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
gregzbutt
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel Wagon FWD

Car eating fuel pumps - things to check?

Post by gregzbutt »

Hello Everyone,

I am a long time lurker here, but this is my first post. To date I have been able to have all my questions answered by the wonderful information provided by this site, and I hope to one day contribute to help other owners of these great cars.

I have an '86 DX model wagon with 273,800 miles. It has the stock carburetor. It's not a 4wd - but it was a steal and rust free in central OH with a stack of service records. In my research I believe the mechanical fuel pumps on these cars should be very reliable, but my experience has shown otherwise. In the past year and a half, and roughly 10,000 miles, I have now installed 5 fuel pumps! Yes they are easy to swap out, but extremely inconvenient when it's pouring rain and I'm stuck on the side of an 8 lane highway. It's gotten to the point where I carry a spare in the car along with a custom "fuel pump replacement tool kit". Here's a breakdown...

1 - Delhpi unit from Rockauto - Replaced stock Toyota pump, lasted 1,911 miles
2 - Warranty replacement Delphi - Lasted 3,569 miles
3 - Carter unit from Rockauto - Lasted 1,669 miles
4 - Napa unit - Lasted 6,439 miles
5 - Warranty replacement Carter unit - currently on vehicle

So far the Napa unit lasted the longest out of all of them. I thought since it broke the 6,000 mile mark it would be a winner, but it died on the freeway this past week.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what might be happening with these pumps? I can't image that I would have installed them all wrong. I've always used the factory spacer/insulator piece that goes between the head and the pump. I've theorized that many of these pumps were manufactured years ago and the diaphragms in them are weak from sitting on the shelf for so long. Is there any truth to this? I'm open to any ideas or suggestions on other items to check. I'm very close to ordering an electric pump to retrofit on the car, but I would strongly prefer to keep it stock if possible. The factory pump lasted 260,000 miles and I don't understand why I've had such bad luck since then.

Best Regards,
Greg
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Car eating fuel pumps - things to check?

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum!

sorry to hear about your troubles with the fuel pump. My only guess is the age issue you suspect, or all may have been made in China and private labled. Chinese parts are often bad right out of the box, best to avoid if possible.

have you looked to see if Toyota still has these fuel pumps in stock? or try to find out what it the brand Toyota uses and track it down. Aisin?

forum member Splaterdog may know the factory brand of fuel pump.

You can convert to an electric fuel pump, simple adaptation. You just need to block off the old pump location with a blank plate, and mount the fuel pump in a handy place away from exhaust heat. you many need to add a pressure regulator to keep the pressure within factory specs. the better electric fuel pumps have a built in pressure regulator.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Greg,

With that many miles, I wonder if there is a chance the fuel pump drive cam has worn down some. If so, the pump wouldn't get the proper "throw" and that could limit the fuel supply, seeming like a failed pump? I've only got 1,200 miles or so on my rebuild and new fuel pump, so I will have to keep an eye on it. So far, no issues from the O'Reillys fuel pump.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
gregzbutt
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel Wagon FWD

Post by gregzbutt »

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.

I would love to try another Toyota brand pump but have not been able to find any. I had thought about the cam being worn, but with the miles on the motor it would make the most sense to do a full top end rebuild in addition to a cam swap.

I am doing some research into the converting over to electric. I will most likely be moving in that direction. Thanks for your help.

Greg
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

My import supplier carries Kyosan for these. Not sure if that's OE but it sure sounds Japanese. That's probably what I put on the rusty beater a while back and so far so good. Get back to me in 10-20 years..

I don't like part store pumps of any sort!

About the only thing I could think of that would take out the pump prematurely(not counting crap pumps) is possibly a restriction on the suction side.
travelbyota

Post by travelbyota »

I have had good luck with Carter pumps, although I have always bought electric rotary pumps from them (made in the usa). Mech pumps from the parts store are junk and have been for a very long time now; if you get many miles or years out of them, you are simply lucky. A quality rotary pump or mechanical Kyosan (Japan) is your best bet (that's what I put on mine).
K
79 Subaru Brat 4WD, 84+85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD, 85 Toyota Xtra cab 4WD, 07 Subaru WRX AWD turbo