Cross-compatible parts from 88 coupe?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
mikeservations
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota Tercel DLX Wagon

Cross-compatible parts from 88 coupe?

Post by mikeservations »

The local junkyard just got in an 88 2-door DLX coupe. Are there any cross-compatible parts worth pulling that could be used on my 87 DLX T4 (or that other members may be able to use)? Thanks!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Cross-compatible parts from 88 coupe?

Post by Petros »

not much: sun visors, review mirrors (I think both inside and outside mirrors), cigarette lighter, and a few other minor parts like that.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
mikeservations

Post by mikeservations »

Thanks for the reply, Peter. Sounds like it may not be worth the trip unless someone here has a particular part they may need.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

the wheels are useful, but they are 14", with the same bolt pattern.

Also, the front brake calipers and flex hose is useful for a brake up grade on the Tercel4wd. you will need different rotors however, with a different off set. see my brake up grade tread.

if that car is carburated, it might have the 4ac engine, which would make a good core for an engine swap into the T4wd. it also uses the same TVSV as the tercel, and a similar but larger carb (but it has different vac hose config so not sure how much effort it would take to use it). I think the 4ac was only used on the lowest trim line, they also had a 16 valve/twin cam carb engine, the 4AF, and the top of the line model had the 4AFE, fuel injected 16-valve engine. neither of those would be asay swaps, but it can be made to work.
mikeservations

Post by mikeservations »

Thanks Peter! If something else at the junk yard pops up worth checking out, I'll have to take a look at the 88 coupe too and check for a few of these things. I put 14" wheels on my T4 earlier this year (pulled from a Corolla) but depending on the trim level, the engine might be worth checking out.
mikeservations

Post by mikeservations »

Looks like an 83 SR5 just showed up at the junk yard in the last day or two. I’m planning on running out after work to see what I can pull.

From what I recall, compatibility of interior pieces might be hit or miss with my 87 DLX, but most mechanical pieces are going to be worth grabbing. I’m looking for a few interior things, like an e-brake cover, some dash/vent pieces, heater level assembly, as well as the instrument cluster (tach would be nice) and inclinometer. Any issues foreseen in applying those parts to my car from this 83? What about swapping the seats?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

inteiror colors changed slightly from '83-84, and '85 and later. grab the inclinometer while you are there, and the SR5 instrument cluster, you only need a philps screw driver to remove both in just a few min..

and if you can, get the transaxle assembly. if front wheel bearings are good, the left and right front hubs are worth getting. I also like to get the left and right rear axles, if the bearings are good (easier to swap out a whole axle with the bearing than pressing off the old one and pressing on the new one). if it has a good double row radiator, that is worth getting. distributor assembly is another good item to grab. and the carb if you want a spare.
mikeservations

Post by mikeservations »

Well the junk yard was closing shortly after I arrived last night, but I did manage to pull the instrument cluster and inclinometer. The car looks like it had been sitting for quite awhile before it showed up at the junk yard - more dead bugs inside and a dustier engine bay than I've seen on other junk yard T4s - and even in the day or two since it arrived at the junk yard, it was somewhat picked over (although surprisingly no one had touched the dash yet).

I'm going to try to head back tomorrow morning and see what's left. The hatch struts seemed much better than what's on my T4, and those seem pretty easy to pull (12mm wrench). Is the process for pulling the transmission straightforward (as laid out on page 288 of the FSM pdf on here)? I'm mostly a newbie to mechanic work, so I've never attempted something like this before.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

I have removed a whole trans axle in 45 min from the wrecking yard since it was already up on stands.

you pull the shift lever, and the clutch cable, than you can drop the rear cross member and let it drop. that makes it easier to reach all of the other bolts. there is a good write up on this form done by form member Xirdneh, use it as a check list. bring a breaker bar to get the larger bolts to break loose. A pry bar helps to get the cv axles out.