Fuel regulator and Weber....

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Eyeball
My tercel:: 86' Tercel Wagon Fwd only

Fuel regulator and Weber....

Post by Eyeball »

So awhile back I put a Weber on, hoping to get a tad bit more hill power and maybe some better mpg. I went from stock getting around 28ish to with the Weber 20-22mpg. The jets matched others on here getting 30+, I didn't replace the power valve or pump diaphragm?. So today I added a low pressure fuel regulator with a gauge(hoping this would help my mileage) and at idle it's between 1.5-2 pounds and throttled up it's 3 pounds. However when screwing the adjustment screw it doesn't increase or decrease, is my fuel pump bad? Also will adding this l.p. regulator help my mpgs, or is it the listed pieces that need replaced? Thanks for any advice/help.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Fuel regulator and Weber....

Post by Petros »

I know with out the regulator it runs rich, the fuel pressure tends to push past the float valve and spills into the engine. So, yes, likely your economy should improve once you get the fuel pressure sorted out.

you may have to experiment with fuel jets in the new carb as well, I have been told they sell a jet kit that allows you to swap them put fairly quickly and try out different combinations of jets.

Also, make sure everything else is in proper working order, your spark timing is set properly (10 deg BTDC rather than the factor 5 deg works well), and check your mechanical advance in the distributor is working properly (if not, get some penetrating oil on it and work it loose by hand, if that does not work take the distributor apart and clean all the rust and derbies so it moves freely.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)