CV Axle splines too big? Help?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Bluie
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 4wd

CV Axle splines too big? Help?

Post by Bluie »

Hello, I’m a new member here, long time Tercel owner, folks actually bought it new...

I’m swapping the pax side CV axle - it appears although still 20 spline the new shafts have thicker splines. I measured the old splines thickness around .70, new seem around .76 and the axle won’t go in. I sourced the axle from Rock auto and figured it may be wrong so picked up the only one from Autozone in Washington state only to find its identical.

I removed the C clip from both old and new to eliminate it from the equation and the old axle slips right in while the new one is super tight. You can see the difference with the naked eye.
6584054C-EF1B-46F6-BEE0-FCBCD945D938.jpeg
Anybody seen this or have a recommended axle brand? Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: CV Axle splines too big? Help?

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum!

There was a thread on this topic a number of years ago, some suppliers are using the wrong size spline.

forum member Xirdneh found he can make it work by using the female end out of an old diff and some lappig compose (gritty past) to effectively grind or wear down the spline to the correct size.

Best bet is to find another brand of cv axle. BTW, I advise agaist rebuilt or remanufactured CV axles, most of them are junk right out of the box. Unfortunately the number of suppliers of new CV axles for this old of a car are not many, and getting hard to find.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Bluie

Post by Bluie »

Thanks for the info! Always a relief to know someone has been there and done that. I usually avoid rebuilt parts like the plague, but like you said parts are getting a bit scarce. I’ll try and get another axle, perhaps 3rd time is the charm!

I’ve been getting a good clunk when coming to a stop or starting to move forward. Found some play in the axle on the inboard and outboard side. Also trying to dig up a tranny mount since it seems pretty gummy/shot. Got any ideas of other culprits?

Thanks for the quick reply!
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

you can tell if cv axle joint is bad by grabbing on either side of the joint and try rotating in opposite directions. there should be little or no play at all. If a joint is bad you will get a large amount of rotational movement across the joint, like 10 degrees of rotation.

here is what Xirdneh wrote in 2014:

" i recently bought a new axle that went in hard and would not go all the way in the splines were bad happened to another member recently also even though it only went in abt 3/4ths of the way it in was very difficult to get it back out we both used a spider gear and valve lapping compound to fix the spline hammering the gear on and off till it slid freely"
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

Bluie wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:56 pm I’ve been getting a good clunk when coming to a stop or starting to move forward. Found some play in the axle on the inboard and outboard side. Also trying to dig up a tranny mount since it seems pretty gummy/shot. Got any ideas of other culprits?
I have found the clunk you describe to be caused by worn CV's (that did not click or show other more common signs of wear) and also in worn out strut mounts. Ball joints, tie rods, sway bar bushings, and engine mounts are all possibilities too but if you noticed play in the CV axle, that's probably your culprit.
Bluie

Post by Bluie »

Thanks for the info! Yes, I can get some decent movement/play on both the inboard and outboard side when holding the center.

Just gotta find an axle that fits and see if this is officially the culprit.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Bluie

Post by Bluie »

Thanks for the links and advice! Found a reman axle from Napa, slid right in having the correct splines, imagine that! I’m not big on reman parts but it was definitely an improvement with no play.

Clunk and vibrations are better, but I still get a clunk when starting to accelerate or coming to an abrupt stop. The tranny mount looks pretty mushy, looks like they’re impossible to come by. I bought one from Rock auto and it’s gonna need to be modified...

Glad to at least have the Tercel on the road again
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

The last time I looked, rockauto.com still had new CV axles for the t4. I had one t4 with a similar 'shift clunk/stop & start clunk' as you, found a CV was worn, and got a reman axle that seemed to have similar play as the one I was replacing. I put it in anyway and found the clunk had changed a bit but was still there. That was the last time I got a reman. I bought a new axle that was nice and tight, installed it, and the clunk was gone. And that's why I'll never go back to reman axles.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

one time I was in a hurry to get new CV axles, and used the local NAPA store to get them next day. both were remans, that was all their supplier had in stock. (normally I would order new ones on line, but could not wait that long). When they arrived the next day, while in the store I opened the box and rotated each of the CV joints by hand. No play, and one axle was smooth, the other axle felt like you were dragging a metal file across hardened steel. it felt bad, grinding itself away. I told the store clerk I wanted him to order another one, I was not going to put that in the car. the store clerk sort of objected, but called over the owner, who I knew pretty well (I had prepared the plans for his personal house, one benefit of living in a small town, you get to know everyone). He felt the grinding cv joint and said it should "wear in". he also is an experienced machinist, they have an auto machine shop in the back of the store. I pointed out that will go around once with every revolution of the tire on my car, would he put that in his car? He picked it up again and felted the rough rotation of the CV joint. He set it down and said "I will order you another one". I was able to get it later that same day.

My observation is about half of them are bad right out of the box. Not worth the trouble. buy new if you can, and avoid "Communist" parts made in china if possible, those wear out too fast.