Need Nissan Stanza Wagon Transmission

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 4x4 Automatic - restored

Need Nissan Stanza Wagon Transmission

Post by CathodeRayTube »

This has been an ongoing PITA, but still a fun project and i consider it a sister vehicle to the Tercel, and my goal is to collect and preserve and upgrade all of the 80s wagons that i like...except the Civic wagon which i dislike.. also on the wanted list is a volvo 740 diesel and a subaru 4x4 Loyale...anyway, i bought a Flooded but otherwise stored indoors/rust free FWD/Auto Stanza and was fixing it up to be my new main driver...replaced and redid everything including tires belts alt waterpump, starter, brakes and most everything else...but then lost revers soon after getting it on the road and having flushed the Straberry Shake many times out of the trans...rebuilt the valve body hoping that would solve it, but then discovered broken clutch material and deduced the trans needs to come out and be fully rebuilt...which im prepared to do but if it needs to come out i might as well upgrade to Manual/4x4. So im looking for a Good Drivetrain of any kind at this point, but preferably a whole 4x4 donor car that can be otherwise rusty/junk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
86 T4 DX 4x4 - Diesel Swap project
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
85 F250 dually 6.9 turbo diesel
81 VW Rabbit Turbo diesel project
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Re: Need Nissan Stanza Wagon Transmission

Post by The Professor »

Cool Stanza! How does it compare to the AL25?

(I'd suggest looking for an '89 Subaru GL. The Loyales are newer, but were stripped-out budget models that were heavily de-contented. Good news is that parts are basically 100% swappable, so if you find a nice rust-free Loyale, you can swap all the high-end trim from a GL or even the GL-10 high-lux trim level.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

Actually i think i may have meant the Subaru GL/DL...was thinking of the one with the 2 speed transfer case and all the extras...but i still want the quad headlights off of a DL wich i think were only on lower models? Heres the Automatic Tercel that i restored/painted a few years ago, along with the Colt Vista, the Yugo and my current main ride, the Tan Grand Marquis.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

I guess you mean the T4 by al25. i forget what its official body number is but i just call it the T4... but yeah. The Stanza, even though iv not driven it much seems to be similar but different to the Tercel in various ways. Its definitely been a lot more difficult to work on...than even my VWs and the Yugo.. it has early "Electronic Gasoline Injection".. 2.0l Airplane-like motor with 8 spark plugs and is actually pretty fast...i advanced my timing, was running it on 93 and had upped the fuel pressure. supposedly 80 cubic feet of space inside, no B pillars, and i even removed the passenger seat for more space.
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the Stanza wagon was great vehicle at the time, it had that funny van like sliding door. later models had a sliding door on both sides as I remember. Good compact family car. We had a family friend (with kids) that had one, they sold it for a Chrysler min van (mistake).

the 4x4 version is a great vehicle, but they are rather rare now. I think at one time the Stanza wagon was more common than the Tercel4wd, but they appear to be all gone. While I do still see T4wd on the roads around here, I do not see the Stanza wagon much.

good luck on finding parts. If you find a complete Staza 4wd wagon, you may be better off restoring that, if it is like the Tercel4wd, the whole body pan is likely different.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member

Post by CathodeRayTube »

actually there appears to be several options now that i bothered to check Car Part dot com...theres a manual FWD in Rockville MD, 50 ish miles away, and an Auto FWD with 30k on it somewhere in NY...among others..
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+