New fuel filter and thermostatic vacuum switching valve - car is stalling now?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
MrWrench
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5. aka Spud

New fuel filter and thermostatic vacuum switching valve - car is stalling now?

Post by MrWrench »

Hey everyone, finally had some free time to work on Spud this weekend. I replaced the fuel filter with one from Rockauto and I replaced a new thermostatic vacuum switching valve that I got on eBay. Car now idles sooo much better cold. I took it out on a 45 minute cruise today.
It started stalling when slowing down to turn and it started stalling out and idling kind of rough. I'm assuming the carb probably needs work. But is this a common issue? Is there anything I should adjust now that it has a new vacuum valve?
1984 SR5. Lifted offroader with a snorkel. Aka "Thunderbucket"
1985 SR5. Daily driver. Aka "Spud"
1986 SR5. Dakar Rally clone build.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: New fuel filter and thermostatic vacuum switching valve - car is stalling now?

Post by Petros »

sounds like it needs the linkage adjusted, both the idle speed, and the device that slows the throttle plate return to idle (it is opposite side as the throttle cable/crank, toward front of car...I forgot the name). the vac operated diaphragm prevents the throttle from slamming shut to reduced the emissions from spiking when the throttle slams shut. What you describe happens when that adjustment is out, there is a simple procedure for setting it correctly in the service manual.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)