Is the Automatic T4 worth it?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
connorblanco

Is the Automatic T4 worth it?

Post by connorblanco »

Hey all, I’m considering buying my roommates T4 Automatic wagon, I believe it’s an ‘84. This thing is in good shape aesthetically, but it definitely needs a lot of love under the hood. I only see people mention the standard trans with the 6th extra low gear, and I’m wondering if the Automatic models are even worth the trouble of fixing up. Any encouragement/insight you can provide is greatly appreciated.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Is the Automatic T4 worth it?

Post by NWMO »

Connor,

The car is under powered, so the MT alleviates some of these issues and makes them more fun to drive. But, even an AT is a good little car and very capable in 4wD. If the body ans underside is good (look closely), you may consider sending your transmission to Lukas in Europe and finding a junker w/ a MT to swap in.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I had someone give me an almost perfect '85 with only a few minor issues (carb adjustment). they could not sell it, even cheap, so they gave it to me to get it off the street. I considered selling it after I sorted out the issues, but no one really wants the auto trans.

I drove it to Texas for my daughter to drive, she needed a car anyway. served her well, and she actually fell in love with it. After many years of her dad driving one she did not care for the Tercel at all (it was the butt of lots of jokes between my wife and two daughters), until she owned one. Funny how Tercels have that affect on people.

If you want it for yourself, no problem. But they are hardly worth putting any effort into it if you only want to fix it up to sell it. You might get lucky, many youngsters these days can not drive a manual transmission (and some geeky kid might actually like the funky Tercel4wd retro look), but I would not count on it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
SinusoidalTendencies
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 87 4wd wagon

Post by SinusoidalTendencies »

I like mine so far. But it was only 600 usd still running and driving. I get er up to 80. But it's really just a 55mph cruiser for the most part. Hills can be a pita. 60ish HP ain't much.
I don't always learn my lesson.
But when i do, it's the hard way.
Yaut
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4WD automatic, lifted 1.5", 15 inch wheels

Post by Yaut »

My auto is plenty capable but would prefer a manual for sure. I have to imagine the acceleration is much worse than the manuals with such long gears but it does the job.
'88 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (red)
'87 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'86 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'85 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (tan)
'85 Toyota Tercel DLX 4WD (white)
'85 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (white)
'84 Toyota Tercel SR5 4WD (dark orange)
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

An auto T4 is still way better than no T4.
dlb
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '87 sr5, '83 dlx parts car

Post by dlb »

I bought one auto T4 as a project and didn't enjoy driving it at all. Totally different experience from the manual trans version. I agree with Splatterdog in that it's still a better car than most though.
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

splatterdog wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:51 pm An auto T4 is still way better than no T4.
:mrgreen:

Some people just can't or won't drive a manual. I had no problem with the 2-3 auto Tercel 4WD's (well one was a FWD).

I would say go for it and you can always resell it later. Or convert it to a MT if you get really motivated.
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

splatterdog wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:51 pm An auto T4 is still way better than no T4.
What - he - wrote!
If you do not drive much on the highways (high RPMs), it should be eminently suitable.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

ARCHINSTL wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:25 am
What - he - wrote!
If you do not drive much on the highways (high RPMs), it should be eminently suitable.
Tom M.
Oh we took two auto T4's all over the place, 70-80 MPH at high RPM's and they were fine!
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
CathodeRayTube
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1985 4x4 Automatic - restored

Post by CathodeRayTube »

My automatic always served me well and was my main driver til it failed inspection for rusty brake/fuel lines 2 years ago and its been on ramps since...i advanced my timing slightly and have a straight piped exhaust basically, and i put synthetic oil in it...seemd decent for what it is and managed to still do 90+ on the highway and overtake while sitting at something like 5200Rpm...i have several spare engines so i wasnt afraid of testing the upper limits..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
86 T4 DX 4x4 - Diesel Swap project
85 T4 DX 4x4 Automatic
83 T4 SR5 - junker/parts
94 4Runner V6
86 Mercury Grand Marquis
88 Lincoln Town Car
90 Yugo GV+
85 F250 dually 6.9 turbo diesel
81 VW Rabbit Turbo diesel project
Lukasloza
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Tercel 4wd Vagon

Post by Lukasloza »

I would buy automatic transmision imidietly, if someone have spare or want to do swap. :)