Took the old girl for a day out!

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
85tercel4wd
My tercel:: 1985 4wd SR5

Took the old girl for a day out!

Post by 85tercel4wd »

Went up to the local mountain (Big Bear) we did whats called holcomb pass and was it awesome! Tercel handled amazing considering the tires and no clearence. Ive owned a handful of toyota 4runners and pick ups but im just amazed by the handling of this machine. Lift kit and 27in A/Ts are in the near future! This is my brothers 99' LX in the picture. Although i did lose a right rear 4wd mudflap so if anyone out there has one laying around!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Re: Took the old girl for a day out!

Post by The Professor »

Looks like a blast! The only time I've been offroad in my Tercel was with a couple of coworkers in Snoqualmie Pass. One had a mostly stock Jeep XJ and the other a modified Land Cruiser. Both were pretty surprised that the bone stock Tercel on street tires was able to follow them around (on an admittedly easy trail, but we did ford a small river).
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

I always get reactions ice fishing. How did you make it out here in that little car? said more than one frozen lake enthusiast.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

The important thing is not to gloat about it too much infront of owners of expensive 4wd owners as there always comes a time when you need them to tow you out. Helps them justify their purchase!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

Mattel wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:46 pm Helps them justify their purchase!
:lol: this cracks me up, that is exactly how those guys think who suffer testosterone poisoning. They always need to justify buying a $40,000 monster truck that gets 8 miles to the gallon. Payments are higher than their apartment rent. There are lots of those around here, many who work construction that I deal with too. "once year I tow my fishing boat down to the dock", or "twice in the last 5 years I helped pull someone out of the snow".

Good reason to drive everyday a monster truck that drives like a dumb ox and eats like an alligator (if you do not feed it everyday, it will start to eat you). If you really need a big truck, you can buy a used beater for $800. for pulling your boat once a year, or even bringing a load of plywood to the job site.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
oldfaithful
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD

Post by oldfaithful »

Well said!!!! These Ol Tercels will outshine any Bowtie, Blue Oval or Ram any day.
85tercel4wd
My tercel:: 1985 4wd SR5

Post by 85tercel4wd »

Greatest thing was, when i was exiting the trail all thess guys in theyre little jeep club was starring at me. One guy was literally aired down to nothing, in 4low with the rear diff engaged while basically driving on a small incline dirt road
I was dying of laughter