New owner introduction

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
mikeservations
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota Tercel DLX Wagon

Re: New owner introduction

Post by mikeservations »

NWMO - Thank you for the info on replacing the heater core. It looks like a sizable undertaking, so I'll start by tightening up the cable and checking the slider parts to see if I can get the slider to move the full range and whether that improves things. If not, I have your link bookmarked.

Abletobecain - Thanks for the welcome. According to the junk yard inventory page, the 87 Tercel is now gone, but now there's an 84 instead. I'm hoping to get out there next weekend; if that year would work for you also, I'm happy to check out the front passenger door panel and let you know what I find.

splatterdog - From what you and NWMO have said, it sounds like some heater core TLC is worthwhile. I'll also make a note to check the blower motor (no AC in my car though, so that's helpful). And roger re the transmission fluid - I've seen a few write-ups on here on checking / replacing it. I need to pick up some jack stands, and because I'm limited to working on it on the street, cross my fingers for an earlier spring or an unseasonably warm weekend, but all the same, duly noted.

Petros - I will keep a close eye on the coolant (no change in level since I topped it off last week, but only a few commutes since then). And while I don't have a benchmark for what shocks and struts on all both axles should normally cost, shelling out $1k is hard to swallow. I really appreciate your generous offer to help me! The opportunity to learn how to do the work from someone who really knows their way around this car would be invaluable to me, not to mention the money saved, and the drive would be a good test run and confidence-builder for using the car for some similar longer drives this summer. I will send you a PM.

Next weekend I hope to run out to the junk yard again to look for spare parts (on the 84 that's there now because the 87 appears to be gone) and do an oil change. I poked my head underneath this week and the oil drain plug (in the small gap in the plastic shielding, right behind the Toyota logo on the shielding, right?) had some relatively fresh oil on it (almost enough to drip, but not quite), so I picked up another oil drain plug and gasket at the local parts shop. I also picked up a Kal-Equip timing light for a few bucks at a local auction, so perhaps I can accomplish the timing next weekend too.

Thanks again to you all for your input, advice, and warm welcome.
Abletobecain
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1983 4WD DLX, 1986 4WD SR5, 1985 4WD SR5, 1983 4WD SR5

Post by Abletobecain »

Thanks for that Mike. Unfortunately, I think the striped interior was only in 87-88 models. The hunt continues. I'd be interested in the front seats if they're in good condition.
1977 BMW R100S 1WD ("Brunhilda"/Summer Fun)
1983 DLX Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Charlie"/Daily Driver)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Sprocket"/Off-road-Camping)
1985 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Lucky"/Project)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Cadaver"/Parts Car)
1985 Ford F250 6.9IDI ("Franklin"/Hauler)
1987 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Ravensburger"/in a million pieces)
2006 BMW 530XI Wagon ("Inga"/Roadtripper)
1969 Mercury Montego MX Convertible ("Big Ed"/My Dad's Old Car)
1983 SR5 Tercel Wagon 4WD ("Al"/for sale soon)
mikeservations
My tercel:: 1987 Toyota Tercel DLX Wagon

Post by mikeservations »

Abletobecain - that's a bummer. If another 87-88 Tercel pops up at the junk yards here, I will let you know. I will check out the front seats on the 84 for you at least though.