4AFE swap 1st to 2nd Gen with 4wd Transmission

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
temp78980
My tercel:: 1988 Toyota Corolla AE95

4AFE swap 1st to 2nd Gen with 4wd Transmission

Post by temp78980 »

My 4AFE engine start to burn oil and getting new problems.
I went to the junk yard and I found 4AFE 2nd Gen which is cleaner than the 1st Gen.

My car is 88 corolla AE95 - 4wd.

I wonder if the 4AFE 2nd Generation will fit my 4WD transmission?

Any one had try this , Thanks
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Re: 4AFE swap 1st to 2nd Gen with 4wd Transmission

Post by Mattel »

The issue will be the notch around the diff lock on the AE95. Have you joined the AE95 Facebook page or Alltracwagon.net? it seems very active.
Here in Australia many people have been putting the more powerful and easily available 7afe in to get a 10% power boost. The 7afe was made right into the 2000's and seems to have the notch to keep the diff lock
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
temp78980

Post by temp78980 »

Mattel wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:11 am The issue will be the notch around the diff lock on the AE95. Have you joined the AE95 Facebook page or Alltracwagon.net? it seems very active.
Here in Australia many people have been putting the more powerful and easily available 7afe in to get a 10% power boost. The 7afe was made right into the 2000's and seems to have the notch to keep the diff lock
Thank you for your reply.

Do you mean that 7AFE will fit perfectly more than 4AFE 2nd Gen.?
Sorry, but I didn't get what you mean by "notch", note that English isn't my mother tongue.

Thank you again
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Hi, what country are you in temp?

if you have a 4afe that is good then use that. in Australia we have many more 7afe available. But I have heard in some companies the 7afe has a 'lean burn' economy tune so maybe not so good.

The notch is part of the engine block and sump that go around the diff lock solenator.

I actually forget which is the best fitting engine but maybe pose a question on https://www.facebook.com/Corolla.Ae95.4wd/ as I cannot remember. I had a quick look but they have too much information. If you don't have any luck I might be able to find out for you when I'm free next week.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

2nd gen 4AFE should bolt right in. The head is significantly differently on the intake side, but the exhaust side should be identical.
temp78980

Post by temp78980 »

Mattel wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:00 am Hi, what country are you in temp?

if you have a 4afe that is good then use that. in Australia we have many more 7afe available. But I have heard in some companies the 7afe has a 'lean burn' economy tune so maybe not so good.

The notch is part of the engine block and sump that go around the diff lock solenator.

I actually forget which is the best fitting engine but maybe pose a question on https://www.facebook.com/Corolla.Ae95.4wd/ as I cannot remember. I had a quick look but they have too much information. If you don't have any luck I might be able to find out for you when I'm free next week.
Thank you very much.

I'm from Yemen, I will tray to ask corolla AE95 facebook page.
another thing to mention is that I'm thinking of replacing a complete engine.
My concern is about transmission side.. will it fit (4AFE 2nd Gen. Or 7AFE )

Thank you for your help
Last edited by temp78980 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
temp78980

Post by temp78980 »

teranfirbt wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:48 am 2nd gen 4AFE should bolt right in. The head is significantly differently on the intake side, but the exhaust side should be identical.
Thank you teranfirbt.

I'm thinking to replace a complete engine , I mean the engine with its intake mainfold.
My question is about the transmission side .. will it fit??
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the bolt up at the transmission end should be the identical, as well as the spacing between crank end and auto trans flex plate, or flywheel and clutch. sometimes between the various versions of the 4a/7a blocks there are slight differences, but they are small enough that it does not matter, or you can grind or alter the block a little to make it fit.

Yeman? that is a world away from where most of us live. What it is like working on old cars there? send some pictures if you can of your car and where you work on it. I think that would be interesting for most of us to see. We have members send pictures from India, Indonesia, Norway, Canada, Mexico and many other places.

Seems fixing up old Toyotas is almost the same experience no matter where we live, great way to share and have something in common.

Seems I recall there has been some recent trouble in Yemen in the international news lately. Are you safe where you are at, or has that finally over?

Happy to have you on the forum.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)