Car Cover for the Tercel

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Synchronizor
My tercel:: 86 Tercel

Car Cover for the Tercel

Post by Synchronizor »

So, winter's in full force here in the Inland Northwest, and I'm doing most of my driving in my 4WD van with studded snow tires rather than my FWD Tercel with the onion-skin tires that were on it when I bought it. My place only has a 1-car garage, but I'd like to do something to keep my Tercel from getting soaked to the bone while it's sitting.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good car cover that fits a Tercel wagon, and stands up well to water, ice, and wind?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Car Cover for the Tercel

Post by Petros »

I would be concerned that a car cover on a car outside would/could trap moisture under it. A better idea would be one of those tent garages, but those are kind of costly. More effort, but less cost, would be to make a 2x2 frame just larger than the car, and than staple a heavy tarp to it. Either of these options would allow air to circulate under the tarp.

I recently made a simple green house for my wife's plants for the winter (ulterior motive is it keeps my wife from storing her plants inside the garage or storage shed). I used 1x2s and 1/4" plywood gussets at the corners and screwed it all together in a way I can take it apart in the spring. I stapled on cheap 10 mill clear plastic.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Synchronizor
My tercel:: 86 Tercel

Post by Synchronizor »

I mean, it's not like it isn't getting wet as it is:
IMG_0016.jpeg
Mostly I just want to keep it from turning into an ice block that would take hours to free if I needed to move or drive it, or on the warmer days, having a ton of wet snow sitting on it and melting into the engine compartment or through the 30+ year-old door seals.

Building a structure is out because I'm parked out on the street. I have a little bit of room on the side of my place, but then I'm stranding the little guy well away from the street while feet of snow accumulates.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the car is better off if out in the open air I would think, to prevent rust.

I would use heavy plastic tarp and duct tape, cut is to it fits over the winsheild area (including wipers and vents), and wraps around to cover the front doors upper half. hold it on with bungy cords. it will keep ice out of the door seals, vent and off the windows and wipers. when you need to move the car you peel it off so it is clear.

we have one like the picture for my wife's lexus, but if it also covered the side windows and mirrors it would be more useful and faster to clear off ice and snow.

They are kind of pricey, we got ours at a garage sale. but making one from plastic tarp and duct tape should not cost much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

I use heavy duty trash bags, one duct taped over the windshield and two more secured between the DS body and doors, making sure the door handles are covered up.
Granted, we in STL do not receive the depth of snow you receive, but we do get rain/freezing rain (like several times since last week).
Our deepest snow so far this year has been only 8".
I've given up on spraying silicone or WD-40 on the rubber seals.
Fortunately, being retired (Get Off My Grass!), I have the luxury of not having to brave the elements to get to work.

I also keep a spray bottle of 75% 91% grade rubbing alcohol/25% water at the back door, ready to fight any frost - cheapest ice-clearer, and - it works!
Tom M.

P.S. See .jpg attached for the most we've ever gotten since I got Goldie back in 2005 - photo is from 2014.
Yes, yes, I know youse PacNWST and MN folks will chuckle, but it is what it is!
T4WD 010513.jpg
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

My experience with snow and car covers is that in the really nasty conditions, the cover will freeze to the car, making it difficult and time consuming to both enter the vehicle, or to get the cover off without damaging it.

Right now on my RXs I've got a blue tarp covering most of the hatch area, side windows, etc., with a couple of bungie cords strung under the car and through the eyelets on the opposite side. It's worked a treat during the recent snowy spell.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited