Catalytic converter

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Catalytic converter

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

I want to clean up an exhaust leak where the engine side exhaust pipe ties into the c/c. Things are horribly rusted and someone has tried to weld it together in the past. I’ve got both parts free and am sure I can weld the connection fine, however, knowing I’ve always had a leak there, I didn’t want to fix it, to find my c/c is plugged or too restrictive. I can see the small square holes open on both ends, but didn’t know if there was a flow test or way to “clean” the converter some??

I see new c/c for $100 or so at RA, but don’t want to spend the $$ if not needed. Living in the Midwest, there is no emission testing, so punching a hole in the current c/c is an option, but not my first choice. The new engine is a 4a with the 272 regrind cam, though I doubt that changes anything. All comments welcome.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Jarf
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: Currently without

Re: Catalytic converter

Post by Jarf »

If the square holes all appear good, then shine a strong flashlight/trouble light in from one end, the other end should show diffused light, like you can see it but it isn't clear, then you should be good to go.

OEM cat's are better built, have more precious metals and will last longer than any A/M unit available for purchase.
For what its worth, Cat's are designed to last the life of the car.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

With the cat out of the car, you can soak the CC in soapy water over night, rinse with clean water, and blow it out. if air freely blows throgh it, it should be good. you may even be able to see light through the core. They do not really wear out, they either get loaded up with contaminates (carbon or unburnt fuel residue, and hence the soapy water wash), or the core structure breaks down and blocks the free flow of air through it. if both ends appear good, likely it is okay.

if you can not get it to free flow through it, next best option is to bore a hole through the core. That is the common "shade tree" fix.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

to add to Jarf's observations, cheap after market cats are a wast of money. bought one for my daughter's civic mail order, local shop installed it (she lives in a big city, so has to have bi-anual testing), and it fell apart in less than a year. internal parts were rattling around, core broke down and was backing up the exhaust. Had to replace it with a better quality one.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks guys,

I may try the soapy water or just hook it up and see how things go. It won’t be to bad to deal with if I feel there is an issue and in MO punching a hole is an option, just not environmentally friendly. Hopefully all goes well when I get going.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
nerdsrule
My tercel:: NEW! '87 t4wd dlx, red. "slow red rocket", "Steve Turkel" in contential as names.

Post by nerdsrule »

Bringing this back to life...

Anyone have luck with Walker cats or others on rock auto? We are looking at *potentially* a full exhaust rebuild. Chance the cat is good. Its coming out anyways, so it can be tested, but as a contingency just wondering what others have done.

Cheers and thanks,
-Will
irowiki
Highest Ranking Member

Post by irowiki »

I have a tercel cat converter I would sell to you cheap (if I can find it)
Former Tercel Enthusiast (not a practical family car anymore but they still have a place in my heart)

Site administrator, if something is broken, PM me!

87 Corolla FX16, 105k
94 Jamboree RV (Ford E-350), 90k
95 Camry Wagon, 170k
97 4runner, 275k
slimdude85
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1981 Toyota Tercel

Post by slimdude85 »

I just punched mine out with a small sledge and a steel rod. It was messy, but a lot cheaper than a new one. And since I’m not even near the St. Louis metro, I don’t have to worry about passing smog (although, I think our cars are too old for the laws to apply). If you go this route, be sure to get a filtering mask. You sure as heck don’t want to inhale the dust from heavy metals and soot. Nasty, toxic stuff.
Do not be afraid of sudden fear nor of the onslaught of the wicked when it comes; For the LORD will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being caught.
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭3:25-26

I have learned to kiss the wave that slams me into the Rock of Ages. -C.H. Spurgeon
splatterdog
Highest Ranking Member

Post by splatterdog »

slimdude85 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:30 pm I just punched mine out with a small sledge and a steel rod. It was messy, but a lot cheaper than a new one. And since I’m not even near the St. Louis metro, I don’t have to worry about passing smog (although, I think our cars are too old for the laws to apply). If you go this route, be sure to get a filtering mask. You sure as heck don’t want to inhale the dust from heavy metals and soot. Nasty, toxic stuff.
I hope you saved the guts, Asian cats are worth at least $50-100, even in pieces. The part store cats are cheap due to much less platinum which is why they are a bad choice for 96 and up cars. No code P0420 to worry about on T4's..
rer233
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: Multiple

Post by rer233 »

Or any other codes- just one more reason why we love 'em...
if it aint there, there's a good chance it won't break!
83 SR5 Silver/Blue (Snowmobile/work beater)-totaled but drivable
85 SR5 Blue
88 SR5 White (the 'good' one)-not anymore-totaled
87 fwd silver wagon a/t
87 4wd dx Cream (a/t- not anymore- now m/t)
The Professor
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1987 Tercel SR5 4WD wagon

Post by The Professor »

slimdude85 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:30 pmIf you go this route, be sure to get a filtering mask. You sure as heck don’t want to inhale the dust from heavy metals and soot. Nasty, toxic stuff.
Or, you know, you could just replace the cat and not dump all that crap into the atmosphere and recoup most of the cost by selling your used cat to a recycler. I've made back over $200 by selling my old cats as they're replaced. Plus my eyes don't burn from uncatalyzed exhaust fumes.
1975 Subaru SuperStar wagon
1984 Subaru Turbo-Traction wagon & hardtop
1987 Subaru RX 3-door
1987 Subaru RX Type-RA 3-door
1987 Toyota Tercel SR5 wagon
1999 Subaru Forester S
2002 Subaru WRX sedan
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited