clutch alignment tool

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

clutch alignment tool

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to finally put the rebuilt engine back in the Tercel, I am wondering if anyone has a clutch alignment tool or better yet an old input shaft laying around they would like to sell? I've got it eye balled pretty well, but understand that is sometimes not good enough.

It seems I've read a few places, where you can remove the input shaft from the transfer case, use it to align the clutch, then presumably install the input shaft with T/O bearing etc. (but not all the way home), install the engine and then slide the shaft into the pilot bearing? Can that be done with the tranny in the car? I will have to look this evening when I get home, but can't imagine enough space to do all that while the transmission is still in.

TIA,

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: clutch alignment tool

Post by Petros »

a plastic clutch alignment tool usually comes with most clutches these days, I have several kicking around my garage and you are welcome to one of them. I can not image these plastic ones cost much either.

Here is one for $4.20 from parts geek:

https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/DC ... 7433949212
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thank you Petros,

I have seen them as cheap as $1.90 on line, but read some reviews where the plastic created challenges. I thought it would be nice to find an actual shaft from a failed transmission for future use, should I keep working on the Tercels.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Post by teranfirbt »

I actually happen to have an old input shaft with a couple of chipped teeth you can have, send me a PM with where to ship it and it's yours :)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

That would be fantastic, I will PM you with my address. If you will let me know how much I owe, I can paypal or send a check.

Thank you very much.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I never had any problems with the plastic tool, but I have with using the actual trans input shaft. the input shaft provides better alignment, but it tends to hang up and can be difficult to slip out after you get it bolted up. The plastic ones seem to align good enough, and it always slips out easy. It helps to remove the input shaft if you grease it before use, but than you risk getting the grease on the clutch or pressure plate so you have to handle extra carefully. Either way works.

you can find out when you give it a try, you may change your mind.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)