3-point belts in rear?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Mosquito
Advanced Member

3-point belts in rear?

Post by Mosquito »

Just picked up an '87 last week, just noticed that the rear belts are lap belts only. DOH!

Does anyone know if there is an easy conversion? I haven't pulled the panels off the C-pillar yet to see if there is a place to anchor the shoulder belt. I would like to have 3-point belts for the little kiddies. . . .
brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Post by brianp »

Somebody mentioned previously that toyota made an add-on kit for shoulder belts a while ago; here it is:
http://www.tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtop ... ulder+belt

like that post said, the dealer might have some laying around.

-Brian
'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

As noted in my message back then, I wrote the Mothership in California when I had no luck going through various dealers in St. Louis.
I must apologize for not posting a follow-up. I never received an answer from California.
My local Toyota Dealer Parts guy said the best he could think of was to contact as many dealers around the country as I could to see if any dealer still had any in stock.... He also said that it was possible that one of the warehouses still had some, but that since it was discontinued so long ago, that the warehouse may have just discontinued inventorying them, and that a personal plea directly to the warehouse(s) might bear fruit.
He also had no information in his computer/microfiche on installation and whether mods had to be made. My impression, though, was that no welding, etc., had to be made, as since Toyota would sell these directly to the public, I would think that if there were dramatic mods to be made that the kit would be a dealer-only installation.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mosquito
Advanced Member

Post by Mosquito »

Wow, thanks guys. I tried the search function, didn't find that post.

I guess I'll join the line of people seeking possible unobtanium!
Mosquito
Advanced Member

Post by Mosquito »

Well, my grand poobah of Toyota parts said the retrofit kit disappeared years ago. Looks like I'll have to figure out another option.

Ther IS an 11mm anchor nut in the pillar. I can't imagine that Toyota would design all seatbelts differently, there has GOT to be some configuration from another vehicle that will fit the bill. What do later Tercels have in the back? (My neighbors are going to think I'm nuts--I'm going to peek into all the Toyotas and see what's up. . . .)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Culex - sorry - I just could not resist... :D I won't do it again.
Thanks for the note on the anchor nut. Your logic makes sense. Maybe a non-USA market required the shoulder belts before ours did.
Non-USA owners - any feedback?
Thanks,
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Mosquito
Advanced Member

Post by Mosquito »

I'm thinking there has to be some combination that will work--retractor under seat and anchor on pillar, or other way round, or maybe retractor in cargo area and feed-through anchor on pillar and fixed anchor under seat, or something! What do later model Tercels and Corollas have?

The princess wants the kids to have 3-point belts. . . . . it is my job to get it done.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever

Post by ARCHINSTL »

If the retractor-types are unworkable, you might look at '60s Volvos and a few other European cars, My '64 122S had shoulder/lap belts combined, which were advanced for the day, but they were not a retractable type, and were a pain in the neck (figuratively) for drivers of varying sizes who shared the same car.
But - it might work - one of those "any port in a storm" situations.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
Gasoline Fumes
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Gasoline Fumes »

3-point rear belt pictures right here:
https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1350
Looks like you need to contact one of the French members. :)

The thread size is more likely 7/16-20 than 11 mm. For some reason that size is required by law in the US on all belts.
Mosquito
Advanced Member

Post by Mosquito »

Hmmmm, that gives me an idea. . . .
brianp
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: '85 4wd SR5, 220k miles

Post by brianp »

I wonder if you could just retrofit some front-seat belts into the back seat...
'85 SR5 4wd, A.K.A 'Peach", 221k miles!
Mosquito
Advanced Member

Post by Mosquito »

Sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :roll:
Mosquito
Advanced Member

Post by Mosquito »

P.S. If anyone has FRONT belts from a parts car, I'd be interested--belts, "male" end of buckle, anchor bolts at both ends, and the anchor on the pillar as well.

I'm thinking of fabbing up a replacement for the lap belts. If I can make it work, I'll do a nice write up, complete with pics.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Aus spec cars all had retractable rear shoulder belts too (pretty modern for back then I think). with little plastic clips to hold them back while you have the seats down
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Mosquito
Advanced Member

Post by Mosquito »

Mattel wrote:Aus spec cars all had retractable rear shoulder belts too (pretty modern for back then I think). with little plastic clips to hold them back while you have the seats down

Hmmmm, got any? :roll: Heh heh. . .

I've only had the car a week and I want to get the drill out. . . .