wheels- bigger, wider possible?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Wagonman86
My tercel:: 1986 Tercel Wagon 4WD

wheels- bigger, wider possible?

Post by Wagonman86 »

Has anybody tried to fit anything crazy on their t wagons like some 15x8’s?
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Re: wheels- bigger, wider possible?

Post by teranfirbt »

I've seen up to 17" wheels on these cars, it's totally possible. Luckily Toyota saw fit to have the same bolt pattern and center hub diameter as the first two generations of Miata, so anything that will fit those will also fit the Tercel.
Going bigger isn't too much of a problem, but wider can make things interesting, depending on tire choice. Stretching narrow tires onto wide rims is what the kids like these days, and would probably work fine on our wagons. Going wider on tires will start running into issues with contacting fenders front and rear, as well as the strut assembly in front.
For what it's worth, I've considered a set of 15x7 wheels with 205/50 tires and some sort of custom lowering setup, but my MR2 has been taking up all of my modification time/money these days.
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Post by BaileySims »

I have a set of 15x7s on my wagon with 195/50 tires. I believe my offset is a +32. I only have a slight rub on the little covers in the wheel wells in the front on full lock but nothing too bad.
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
oldfaithful
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 Tercel 4WD

Post by oldfaithful »

I have 5 spook Mazda Miata with 185 55 15 and there are no rubbing isuses at all.