front axles

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
jwk77pgf1

Post by jwk77pgf1 »

I've had problems with the front axles on my 85 tercel 4WD. I had the axles replaced 4 times with remanufactured axles, all from different suppliers. All 4 sets went out within 1200 miles. I finally gave up and ordered brand new axles from Toyota.......$900!! The remanufactured ones were $160. So far it's been 9000 miles with no problems at all. Is there a problem with the remanufactured axles? They can't seem to get it right on the 4WD tercels. Any comments?? I am getting ready to replace the ones on my 85 tercel 2 dr hatchback, same part #s...but I do not really want to spend another $900, and I don't want to deal with another headache using remanufactured. Any help is appreciated. Thanks, JWK77PGF@HOTMAIL.COM.
icE
Top Notch Member

Post by icE »

no idea, maybe they got the model or year wrong, or they just remanufactured em wrong
GTSSportCoupe
Highest Ranking Member

Post by GTSSportCoupe »

I've had similar problems. I put rebuilt ones in my tercel 4wd wagon and had clicking and vibrations on one side even from the rebuilt ones. So I brought it back and got another one on warranty. Similar problems again. Brought it back and am on my third now. It seems to be much better this time round. I imagine that the company re-manufacturing them put out a bad batch or something. I thought it might have been a problem with my tire/rim or shock. But replaced these parts and still had the same problems.

I think basically it's just tough to rebuild these things as good as new. Sometimes you get a shitty one, sometimes you get a good one. Luck of the draw I guess. Some manufacturers are probably better than others though.

I'd go with re-manufactured ones again. If you have problems just bring them back to the parts place on warranty and get some other ones.
Current:
91 LJ78 Landcruiser EX5
95 A32 Maxima SE
Former:
87 AW11 MR2 Smallport 4AGZE
93 Taurus SHO ATX
86 AL25 SR5 6spd 4wd
90 AE92 GTS
82 KP61 SR5
85 MX73
87 AE86 GTS 4AGZE
85 AE86 GTS
83 AL21
3A-C Power
Highest Ranking Member

Post by 3A-C Power »

Yeah, same story here. My right front one went bad because the boot got ripped and I neglected it, then left it until I was 1000 miles from home and had to buy a rebuilt one. A year later it started clicking again. I think it's the hardness of the steel and possibly the surface finish in those grooves in the CV joint. Making a CV joint is no trivial matter.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Guess I lucked out...my replaced right axle has 15K miles on it and does just fine except for when I turn very sharp...then I get some clicking...like the tolerances are too tight in this position. This was an Advance AP axle...their better one...that I got for a cheaper competitors price.

Have heard that A1Cardone rebuilds good axles...mine wasn't one of these though...as far as I know.

Here is the Advance AP-PartsAmerica page:

<a href='http://www.partsamerica.com/SelectParts ... t+%2F+Axle' target='_blank'>http://www.partsamerica.com/SelectParts ... 2F+Axle</a>

You MIGHT get the Cardone axle LOCALLY for the lowest price that ANY other axle is offered in your area by another parts store.

Axle rules?

An used OEM axle (under 150K miles?) from a another car might be a better bet than a new rebuilt axle? Check the boots 1st?

DON'T accept an axle in a opened box...somebodies return.

DON'T buy the cheapest rebuilt axle...labor has to count.

Might ask around some local repair shops to try and find out what axles the local mechanics tend to go with....they replace a ton of them and don't like to do the job 2Xs.....just tell them you know the Car Guys......?

Sometimes they will tell you stuff....sometimes they won't give you the time of day.
Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

Orwell said: War is peace! Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength...

Thereminator
Top Notch Member

Post by Thereminator »

Hey Takza,That PartsAmerica site Rocks! Not only do they have a better selection,theres a Krangen-store down the street,Thanks.When you get "Round~ Tuit" check-out there Cargo-Springs,I wounder if there stock in every-way? Also,AC,they have Hydro-Clutch parts and Weird~Al(are you with us Al?),they have Clutch Pilot-Shaft alinement tools.A Fine-Day in Who-ville...indeed! :P
1984 SR5~Tercel 4wd-6.Spd<br><br>
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

Give a boy a gun-give a biatch a cell phone-and pretty soon you almost got yourself a police state.

jwk77pgf1

Post by jwk77pgf1 »

Yeah, I went ahead and put in remanufactured in the 2 dr tercel, hope they last. I am having no problems with the brand new ones in my 4WD, if you have the money, that's the way to go...brand new, one time job.
takza
Highest Ranking Member

Post by takza »

hey jwk77pgf,

I can see why you went with the new Toyota axles, but I have problems spending almost as much on axles as I bought my car for.

But I guess I WAS lucky...now have the left one going out and get to do some gambling again. I'll try the Cardone axle...who knows.

tercel4wdrules
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: None

Post by tercel4wdrules »

Hmmm... it looks like you're going to play the lottery with remanufactured axles. We haven't replace the axles on the 83, but one time we got an oil change, the technician suggested we replace the axles but that was a couple of years ago. My dad like you Takza, when turning a tight turn at some speed, there is some vibration and sort of clicking. I don't remember too well, the car hasn't been driven for quite a while now. The ones that this car has are pretty good, but the steering wheel wobbles a lot and the car pulls to one side, but again I have to ask my dad for exactly how the steering on the car is. When we replaced the tires like 3-4 years ago the person who installed them at a Sears facility marked on the report that one of the tie rods was loose, but we never checked them or even bothered with them.
2015 Honda Fit EX "Malachi"
2001 Toyota Corolla CE "Eugene"