Engine holding on to tranny?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Engine holding on to tranny?

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

1985 4wd M/T. I have the five bolts out, have jacked the tranny and pried the engine about 1/2” to 3/4” apart, but it’s sticking somewhere. I don’t think I have missed anything, but all help appreciated. Pretty certain I quit before breaking anything, just looking forward to getting this engine out.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Engine holding on to tranny?

Post by Petros »

there is a small bolt that holds the heater tube that comes from the back of the coolant pump. it is 10 mm, and goes thru the bracket into the metal backing plate. you can not get the trans/engine separated without removing this annoying little bolt, the plate flexes so it fools you that you can pull it free. at most, you will have to bend the flat plate so it is flat again, but not likely you bent it yet.

A 10 mm socket on an extension will reach it, it is hard to see from the top, but not too bad to reach once you know it is there. Remember to replace when you got it back in. Everytime I need to pull a trans or an enigne, I curse the Toyota engineers for not mounting that tube to the side of the block instead of the plate between the engine and trans!
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

I know I had one 10mm off in the area you describe. Pretty certain I’ve got that one, as I have set the hard coolant line to the side. It will probably fall apart tomorrow first time I touch it. :)

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Logbear
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 86 Toyota Tercel 4WD StaWag

Post by Logbear »

There might be a ground wire that goes from the valve cover to the firewall. I forgot to remove it once, and the engine moved about an inch and stopped. And there is also that mini shock absorber thing that is kind of under the power steering pump.
"86" Tercel 4wd Daily vehicle
"87" Tercel 4wd Son's car
"87" Tercel 4wd Auto- Spare car
"83" Tercel 4wd Extra spare car
3- "83" Tercel 4wd parts cars
1- "85" Tercel 4wd parts car
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you did not make it clear if you are pulling the engine, or pulling the trans, from the car. there are different problems that can come up.

make sure the starter motor is out, check the ground wires as noted, make sure you loosen the engine mounts at both ends so they can wiggle out. sometimes you have to fight the front engine mounts out, they do not just slip out, but they have to be deflected before the come free. And also as noted, check the engine dampener is unbolted. remove the head pipe bolts and the front exhaust pipe bracket so it can move enough to release from the exhaust manifold.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Thanks guys,

Just needed to sleep on it. Got home late tonight and looked at it again. I pulled a little bit, but quickly found the problem. Two bolts low on the driver side that hold the small diameter metal pipe. Pulled them to remove the pipe, but put them back in thinking it was part of the block. When actually it is a little bracket that keeps the engine and tranny stabilized. Popped right out with those removed. Thanks again.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain