Test? replace?

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Test? replace?

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

Pulling the old motor to get the oil pan, etc. before putting the 4a in (still getting the head together). This diaphram was not hooked up and the car ran pretty well. Can I test or replace? Is it worth the trouble?

Also, the exhaust manifold contains the weighted flap gate to direct more exhaust when cold. Should I service the spring? do nothing?

TIA,

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Test? replace?

Post by Petros »

the diaphrame is part of the EGR system, it will run fine without if you block off all of the connections.

the flapper valve I do not think needs service other than to make sure it moves freely. it speeds warm up in sub freezing temperatures. likely in a warmer climate you would never notice it if you removed it.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Test? replace?

Post by NWMO »

Thanks Peter,

Once apart, mine appears ok. The one that came with the parts engine was carboned full, but mine didn’t take much cleaning.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain