new member introduction

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
8ton
My tercel:: White 4wd

new member introduction

Post by 8ton »

Hi guys, my name is John and I live in Virginia. I am married and have a toddler. I technically work as a mechanic at an estate but really serve as a do-all handi man.
I am a big fan of '80s Toyota cars and the A series engines.
My second car was a tercel sr5 wagon, long gone, and I am currently working on getting another. I have also had a 4ac powered ae86 corolla, and have a '86 mr2 in project purgatory. I have built several engines, including a 7ac, and 2 4age.
I drive a '72 f100 daily, and am currently building a '56 Nash Ambassador sedan to be a family cruiser. I port heads, modify carbs and rebuild historic firearms from scrap metal for fun. I am hoping to build a small flow bench this year.

This forum has lots of great information ad resources, I hope I can contribute as much as I learn!
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: new member introduction

Post by NWMO »

John,

Great intro, you should fit in perfect here. Good group of guys with a wide range of those with technical skill to hillbilly know-how (more my speed). I'm currently rebuilding a 4ac for the Terc, getting a 76' Maverick (302, C4 tranny) rejuvenated with my 15 yo son and have a 52' Chevy Styleline in project purgatory, though I have collected most of the parts etc. I need. Good to have you on board.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Welcome, John!
As Chris wrote, a great bunch of members who are always helpful.

OT-ish, but - why an Ambassador? Of course, that was a large car, so lotsa room for the family. Is it a 6 or the Packard V8?
I've always had a soft spot for Nashes. My Father, grandfather, and an uncle each had a seres of them, beginning with the '49 Ambassador (we had a '50 Statesman).
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
8ton
My tercel:: White 4wd

Post by 8ton »

Tom,
The Nash sort of fell into my lap. I have always liked the oddballs, and wanted a early to mid-'50s car. I saw this for sale at a gas station for $1600 and had to have it. It was running/driving for the 17 year old owner, although not very well/safely.
My fathers first car was a early '60s ambassador, so there is that as well.
Mine is the "Special Super", a mid year model, that was built on the chassis with Nash/Hudson /AMC's NEW 250" 190hp v8. Only around 3500 were built. It is backed by a GM hydromatic 4 speed auto. Overall a MUCH better combo than the Packard IMHO.
Care to share any old photos of your family's Nash collection?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum!

great to have you. Maybe you can build us some of the hard to find obsolete parts from scrap metal. Quite a lot of interesting hobbies you have. I never cared much for the large American made cars, but these days I do appreciate their unique style. many are like rolling sculptures, compared to the rather boring and look-a-like cars being made today. you can hardly tell a buick from a ford from an Accord from a Camry these days without actually finding the logo on the car.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)