Twin Webber's...

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
BaileySims
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1983 Tercel SR5 4WD

Re: Twin Webber's...

Post by BaileySims »

LowBuckCanuck wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:32 pm The problem is, you get to creative with engine swaps and modifications and you grenade your transmission. Now, on my dream build I'll get a custom transmission made with hardened internals.
The only reason I will never 4age swap. :(
WAGON MAFIA.
Blood, sweat and beers.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

the transmission is actually fairly durable, if you drive responsibly and keep fresh gear lube in it, it should hold up fine. I had thought about having all of the internal parts heat treated, supposedly that is what the hot rod builders do. I do not know how much it would help, hard to tell if it is necessary.

but really if these trans have the gear lube changed when they are supposed to be (every 30k miles, which no one ever does), and not do 'speed shifts' or other adolescent and stupid things, replace any leaky seals right away, these transmissions will last 400k miles. I have been adding a graphite additive, using half and half synthetic gear lube, and though the syncros are a bit slow when it is cold, still it is quiet at about 390k miles on mine. I have blown earlier transmissions, but that was because I allowed it drive with very low gear lube. I think all of the problems with transmissions have occured because people had allowed it to run with oil leaks and drove it on low gear oil too long.

If you install a 450 hp fully blown 4age, and drive like a teenager, you will have nothing but drive-train problems. but just going to a conservatively built 4age, or 4ac, and you treat is well, keep the gear lube fresh and fix any leaky seals promptly, you should not have any problems. Larry McGrath installed a 20 valve 4age, that has nearly triple the HP (176 as I recall) as the stock 3ac, and has driving daily for about 3 or 4 years with no issues.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
seantp
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by seantp »

I wonder about down shifting and transmission wear. I blew the MT in my 08 Corolla but that was after years of stop and go newspaper delivery.
86creamdream4x4
My tercel:: Ex 86 tercel 4x4 automatic

Post by 86creamdream4x4 »

Oh
Last edited by 86creamdream4x4 on Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
86creamdream4x4
My tercel:: Ex 86 tercel 4x4 automatic

Post by 86creamdream4x4 »

Speekng of transmissions , are there any other vehicles that share the 4x4 tranny and trans Axel?
If so what are they.. I found a wagon . but it has an issue with the trans
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

This exact transmission was unique to the Tercel. Some of the internal hard parts can be used from a fwd Tercel.
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]