Random questions

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Cdconrad
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota tercel 4wd wagon

Random questions

Post by Cdconrad »

Hey everyone, my name is Cy and I joined the club. recently bought an 84 4wd tercel with 240,000 miles. it starts with a few cranks at around 10*F, but idles rough for a few minutes, then the high idle kicks in but doesn't consitently drop down with a rev, sticky choke that needs to be cleaned? The first time I drove it the engine was getting hot and when it got hot it would idle at 22k to 28k, discovered it was low on antifreeze and topped it off and hasn't gotten hot sense. could the high idle be due to a vacuum leak that seals with expanding gaskets with heat? I figure this is good information for diagnosing, it's been getting 25 mpg not pushing acceleration to hard, around 20 mpg when driving mostly hills. At a ten percent grade I'm forced into second with two people in the car. Is this normal for these cars or does that seem low on mpg and power?
seantp
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD Wagon

Re: Random questions

Post by seantp »

I had similar issues and a headgasket replacement seems to have remidied most of them. There is a Felco kit and Petros posted a thorough guide if you are a do-it-yourselfer.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum,

sounds like you are down a bit on power, and you have a vacuum leak. These are easy to fix, once you find the problem. but before you do anything drastic, make sure it is in good tune and running properly. first, using the factory service manual (FSM, available for free down load from this site), check all of the vac lines, they are all in good condition (no cracks or holes), routed correctly and connected properly at both ends. on cars this old often the vac lines developed leaks, or someone misrouted it, or left it disconnected. once that is sorted properly (should only take about 15 min, not a big deal, just take one at a time and follow it from one end to the other and make sure it matches the vac diagram in the FSM). if it still acts like a vac leak after that, check using carb cleaner by spraying it around the carb, gaskets and vac operated equipment while it is running. the leak will suck in the carb cleaner and change the idle speed, when that happens you know you found the leak. might be worth checking the 12 mm nuts hold on the carb (easy check), and the 14 mm bolts and nuts holding on the mainfold that sometimes work loose and allows a vac leak (works best with a 12 mm open end, and some you can only reach with a socket wrench and extenstion).

Next, adjust the idle, fast idle, the dash pot and the choke per the FSM procedure, spraying some carb cleaner down the intake and on the linkage, usually frees it up from sticking. I also spray some light lubricant on the linkage and cables to prevent hang ups.

It is still runs rough, check spark plugs, spark plug wires, and the distributor cap, if suspect replace them. than check the spark timing, set it at 10 deg BTDC, not the factory 5 deg. again, follow the FSM procedure and block off the vac lines to the distributor and make sure it idles back to the proper RPM for setting the spark timing.

There is a process of symptoms and simple tests for each of the fuel and emissions system in the FSM, go through each test systematically, check/adjust as necessary. Only change or check ONE system at a time, if you keep randomly trying things out you will never fix it, because you will be casing your tale with each change.

ALWAYS, diagnose the problem BEFORE you try and fix it. or you waste time and money. Youi will also frustrate yourself and want to give up on it.

almost all of the the kinds of running issues are solved with these simple tests, checks and tune ups. your power and economy should improve. If not, than there are other things to check or fix, but until you know the vac lines are routed properly and everything is adjusted properly, than you will not fix it when it might be something simple to fix first.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Cdconrad
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota tercel 4wd wagon

Post by Cdconrad »

Alright, thanks for the advice, looks like I need to go print out the fsm, having trouble viewing it on my phone