Monroe Air Shocks

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1986 DLX 4wd Wagon "Jenny"

Monroe Air Shocks

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Anyone used these? A fellow on another forum says that they bolt right in. I think its on page 2.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum ... 791/page1/

$60 CAD on rock auto for 2 http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/monroe ... orber,7556

Is there anything that could be used in the front to have air shocks all the way around?
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1985 4wd 1986fwd 1983 4wd

Re: Monroe Air Shocks

Post by jimcrazy »

just bolt them on and run the air lines
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

jimcrazy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:55 am just bolt them on and run the air lines
Do they provide a lift?
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member

Post by jimcrazy »

yes it does,pic is at 30 psi and 195-70-14 tires,,i like the ride better than the stock shocks,if you have any loads in the back just add a little air and no saggie rear end
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

Have these on my corolla 4wd which has the same rear end as the Tercel 4wd. They work really well with the worn springs that are on there already and compensate well for any loads. I think I've written about them here a few times. Do a search for Monroe
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Mattel wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:55 pm Have these on my corolla 4wd which has the same rear end as the Tercel 4wd. They work really well with the worn springs that are on there already and compensate well for any loads. I think I've written about them here a few times. Do a search for Monroe
jimcrazy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:53 pm yes it does,pic is at 30 psi and 195-70-14 tires,,i like the ride better than the stock shocks,if you have any loads in the back just add a little air and no saggie rear end
As always, the forum searches are clear as mud. Am I correct in thinking that if I install a set of the air shocks in the back I don't need any other springs (like from a pathfinder) for a lift?

From what I gather from the searches, there isn't any air suspension options for the front? Does that mean I have to go old school and use some Camry struts or whatnot?

I really wish someone were to document the various ways of lifting a tercel and have it properly organized one of these things:
Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 2.05.36 PM.png

I imagine this topic comes up very often.
jimcrazy
Highest Ranking Member

Post by jimcrazy »

you can lift it how ever you want,,i only about 1" lift so I took the easy route,, the air shocks and 1" strut spacers in the front and the bigger tires it can all be done in a Saturday morning
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

The searches aren't that hard to do. just takes some time to go through the threads
you might want to chase this up
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12724&p=99180&hilit=MONROE#p99180
also search for the bartos lift.

If you would like to compile the lift threads into one that would be awesome. We are all volunteers here.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

you can also get a 12 volt compressor so you can gain lift from the drivers seat by flipping a switch. Mazda MPV with the load levelor option, Cadillac, Lincolns and Mercedes (and others) all use the same compressor (made in USA), you can buy them in the wrecking yard cheap (I paid I think $12 from a pick-n-pull as a spare for our MPV< but never needed it), you just have to rig them with a manual switch, rather than the suspension height sensor used on those cars. It is about the size of a typial school text book, not too large.

That would be a great set up, when you load up your car, or want to cross a creek, deep snow, etc you just hold a switch until the rear has raised up to the desired height, and away you go. I am seriously considering this for my project 4age/Tercel4wd car. I already have the spare air pump anyway, just need some air line, and some wiring/switch, etc.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Mattel wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:24 pm If you would like to compile the lift threads into one that would be awesome. We are all volunteers here.
As I search for the holy grail, I'll try and take own notes. No promises, but I may be able to scrape something together.

To start with, about how many different ways should I be aware of? There's the Bartos Lift, there is an excellent thread by Abra-Cadaver here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12433 and then there is the Monroe air lift option for the rear. Not to mention the use of spacers like the one jimcrazy posted... looks like I have my work cut out for me.

Also, for reference, about how much lift can one achieve on the front without compromising the cv joints? Its all for research purposes.
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Petros wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:39 pm you can also get a 12 volt compressor so you can gain lift from the drivers seat by flipping a switch. Mazda MPV with the load levelor option, Cadillac, Lincolns and Mercedes (and others) all use the same compressor (made in USA), you can buy them in the wrecking yard cheap (I paid I think $12 from a pick-n-pull as a spare for our MPV< but never needed it), you just have to rig them with a manual switch, rather than the suspension height sensor used on those cars. It is about the size of a typial school text book, not too large.

That would be a great set up, when you load up your car, or want to cross a creek, deep snow, etc you just hold a switch until the rear has raised up to the desired height, and away you go. I am seriously considering this for my project 4age/Tercel4wd car. I already have the spare air pump anyway, just need some air line, and some wiring/switch, etc.
I think a onboard compressor is a great idea, but would be even better is there is air suspension on all 4 wheels. I'm not aware of any air shocks for the front, but I'll look into it.
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

jimcrazy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:16 pm you can lift it how ever you want,,i only about 1" lift so I took the easy route,, the air shocks and 1" strut spacers in the front and the bigger tires it can all be done in a Saturday morning
Where can I get me a set of those?
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

LowBuckCanuck wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:51 pm I think a onboard compressor is a great idea, but would be even better is there is air suspension on all 4 wheels. I'm not aware of any air shocks for the front, but I'll look into it.
there are no air struts I am aware of for the Tercel, they are likely some available for other models of Toyotas which may be able to be adapted.

I saw a set of air adjustable front struts for a subaru at a garage sale for like $60. I almost bought them to see if I can make adapters to make it work on my terel, just to show off to all you guys. but I was not that motivated and would have likely end up costing a lot more than I thought it was worth (I do not trust my welding skills, so I would have to pay a skilled welder to make the adapters).

You can buy these inexpensive doughnut air assist balloons that will fit in spring of the front struts, might be worth a consideration. Just expect to have to replacement them regularly. see below.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
LowBuckCanuck
Top Notch Member

Post by LowBuckCanuck »

Petros wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:04 pm
LowBuckCanuck wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:51 pm I think a onboard compressor is a great idea, but would be even better is there is air suspension on all 4 wheels. I'm not aware of any air shocks for the front, but I'll look into it.
there are no air struts I am aware of for the Tercel, they are likely some available for other models of Toyotas which may be able to be adapted.

I saw a set of air adjustable front struts for a subaru at a garage sale for like $60. I almost bought them to see if I can make adapters to make it work on my terel, just to show off to all you guys. but I was not that motivated and would have likely end up costing a lot more than I thought it was worth (I do not trust my welding skills, so I would have to pay a skilled welder to make the adapters).

You can buy these inexpensive doughnut air assist balloons that will fit in spring of the front struts, might be worth a consideration. Just expect to have to replacement them regularly. see below.
I think after all the research I did to make the list of ways to lift a tercel, I have settled for basically what jimcrazy has done. 1 inch spacer in the front, Monroe MA700's in the back. The adjustability is very attractive. Could of used a set yesterday when I had 8 tires and 4 rims in the back of Lenny.
YakSr5
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 lifted

Post by YakSr5 »

LowBuckCanuck wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:52 pm
jimcrazy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:16 pm you can lift it how ever you want,,i only about 1" lift so I took the easy route,, the air shocks and 1" strut spacers in the front and the bigger tires it can all be done in a Saturday morning
Where can I get me a set of those?
Also interested, did you make those yourself jimcrazy?