Anyone parting out a Tercel wagon? - in LA.

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Udara15
My tercel:: 1985 Toyota Sprinter Carib

Anyone parting out a Tercel wagon? - in LA.

Post by Udara15 »

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum - so apologies if its placed in the wrong area / category.

I’m based in the UK and i’m currently having my dads 1985 Toyota Sprinter Carib restored back home in Sri Lanka in preparation to bring it over to the UK - later this year.

So i’m on the hunt for a few small bits, a few of the things I’d like to pick up are:

- Front bumper
- Headlight Bezels
- Front Grille
- Parcel Shelf
- Full set of brown seat belts + few other interior trim bits

I’m planning a trip over to the states in March - so i’d ideally like to pick up most of the bits then to save on shipping/postage costs.

So if anyone knows of where i could get most of these bits ideally around LA (Long Beach area) please do let me know!

Many thanks,

Udara
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Anyone parting out a Tercel wagon? - in LA.

Post by Petros »

welcome to the forum!

Great to have you. the front bumper, grill headlights and trim are likely different if you have Euro domestic market Tercel than what was sold in the North America. You can get them and they will bolt up, but may not be compatible. You have much better bumpers, slim and light, we get idiotic Federal 5 mph (failure) bumpers, too big and heavy.

looking at your picture it appears you have the North American headlights and trim, but it is hard to know for sure. If you want the NorthAmercian headlight trim and grill, we can hunt them down for you. I know I can likely find them locally and send them down to long beach, if I do not go there my self (my elderly father does not live far from there). Can you send close up pictures of the headlight/grill assembly?

Euro market front bumpers would be better for you (in fact, if you find a source bring me a set when you come to LB!).
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

European and Australian Tercels also have different rear seatbelts to the North American ones we have lap/sash where as NA are lap only in the rear. you may want to check with your father what you have. Sounds like an interesting project. Is shipping expensive? he must be very attached to the car! There was recently another member on here from Sri Lanka. Maybe do a search - you might find the parts closer to hand!
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Udara15

Post by Udara15 »

Thank you @Petros and @Mattel for your responses!

The car is actually a 'JDM' Sprinter Carib - which we imported from Japan in the late 80's over to Sri Lanka, so i believe it has the same front end (or one that looks very similar) to the North American market vehicles.

I've attached a few more pictures of the car (excuse its rough shape - its been parked up for over 18 years now) - one picture is of what i'd like it to look like eventually.

Myself and my dad are really quite attached to the car - hence why we're bring it over to the UK, costs of shipping isn't that bad but must be a lot more than the car is actually worth!

From memory the rear seat belts only had a 'lap belt' for the rear middle passenger (but i will double check this).

If you could let me know if these front end parts are available i'll be very interested! as i'll be in LA from 12th March.

Many thanks once more,

Udara
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

yes, front bumpers, grill and headlights look correct for north american market. the side marker lights are simlar but all of in North American are amber, not clear. I actually like amber color better anyway.

I will see what I can find locally for you, but shipping a whole bumper would be costly, might be worth see if you can fix your old one. or perhaps you just need the black rubber cover? still a pain to box and ship, but less than the whole assembly.

BTW, from what I can see under the hood, that engine compartment looks like it has a lot of different stuff in it, do you have any close up pics of the engine compartment you can post?
Udara15

Post by Udara15 »

Thank you @Petros - please do let me know, my email address is udaradavid@hotmail.co.uk (if you need to drop me an email directly).

You're right, the front bumper is really bulky - we'd only really need the bumper cover anyway, as ours isn't in the best of shape (doesn't matter if the paint is chipped as we will need to repaint it regardless, as long as their arent any cracks or its not bent then it should be fine!)

Under the hood we have a Toyota 1C diesel engine (from a Toyota Hiace van - if im not mistaken) the engine has been upgraded with larger pistons from the 2C diesel engine. Unfortunately, because of this set up, we've lost the 4wd functionality - but this is something i'm hoping to bring back in the future.

I've attached some pictures below for you! - i'll do a proper write up of the story behind the car once its restoration is complete.

Many thanks,

Udara
Mattel
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: 1988 Corolla 4wd Wagon (AKA Corolla All-trac) 5speed, AC, Power Sunroof, Windows, Mirrors, Steering, Locking, Diff Lock, 14" Corolla SX Alloys with Silica Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, 210,000kms

Post by Mattel »

That is quite an unusual engine choice. Do you still have the original gearbox and what transmission is it in? Looks like the car is well into its restoration. good work! You could possibly repair the original bumper there are various fillers and repairs available for plastic bumpers available. Especially if you are going to paint it.
Previous: 83 Tercel SR5 4wd, 84 Tercel SR5 4wd
88 Corolla 4wd Wagon 5speed, All power options, Fact Sunroof, Diff Lock, 14" SX Alloys, Hankook Tyres, 4afe, King Springs, Upgraded Headlights, Full Synth oils, Tow Bar, 210,000kms
Petros
Highest Ranking Member

Post by Petros »

that is certainly not a 3ac engine. it would be nice if there was a bolt in desiel engine for this car, there were corollas that came with deisels, but I suspect the trans is very different so not likely to work with the 4wd trans. could be made to work, but that would be a major project I am not willing to take on.
Udara15

Post by Udara15 »

Just thought i’d give a quick update.

The car is going through the final stages of paint, now the the majority of the metal work is complete - i’ve put together a updated list of bits i’d need to “complete” the car below:

- Front headlight bezels - with clearance lamps (mine are cracked!)
- Front grille
- Front indicators and side lights
- Front windscreen trim pieces
- Sunroof rubber seal
- Rear interior light
- Brown centre console
- Rear view mirror
- Right side (passenger side) wing mirror

I’m over in the states from the 12th of March - so can either organise to collect bits from anyone local or have them posted to me while im over there!

Let me know if anyone can help!

Many thanks,

Udara
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Well done Udara! Keep us informed of your progress! It seems you need a new or used right corner lense. Are you able to get one? If not, I may have some leads for that!
K-Business
loess
Advanced Member

Post by loess »

Looks awesome, Udara. If you're unable to find one local to you in California while you're there, I'd be willing to ship you the front grill of my previous T4WD. The grill is still intact and was not damaged in the wreck. I may have a spare rear view mirror as well.
Udara15

Post by Udara15 »

loess wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:54 pm Looks awesome, Udara. If you're unable to find one local to you in California while you're there, I'd be willing to ship you the front grill of my previous T4WD. The grill is still intact and was not damaged in the wreck. I may have a spare rear view mirror as well.
Thank you @loess - i've actually managed to track down a NOS grille, which will be going on the car soon.

However, i would be interested in the rear view mirror and the side 'body moulding' trims (if you've still got them) - also would you be willing to ship them to the UK?

Many thanks,

Udara
seantp
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1983 SR5 4WD Wagon

Post by seantp »

I'll have the drivers and passeger seat belts. I'm swapping them out. The plastic support at the base are shattered however from getting crispy in the Nevada sun. I'll also have a brown center console. Mine's an 83. There's an 87 in my local scrap yard if they haven't crushed it. I may be able to pull the sunroof seal, winsheild trim and rear view if you'd like. Just spring for shipping and throw me whatever you think they're worth or perhaps you have some parts to trade? I think tell side trim is on their as well. It's gotta the SR5 in the futuristic font. LMK.
Udara15

Post by Udara15 »

terceldude wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:56 pm Well done Udara! Keep us informed of your progress! It seems you need a new or used right corner lense. Are you able to get one? If not, I may have some leads for that!
Thanks Terceldude,

Definitely will update the forum on any progress with the car. The shop working on the car has said they’ve managed to source a set Of corner lights, but if I have any issues i will let you know! Thanks again!

Udara
terceldude
Highest Ranking Member

Post by terceldude »

Udara15 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:51 pm
terceldude wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:56 pm Well done Udara! Keep us informed of your progress! It seems you need a new or used right corner lense. Are you able to get one? If not, I may have some leads for that!
Thanks Terceldude,

Definitely will update the forum on any progress with the car. The shop working on the car has said they’ve managed to source a set Of corner lights, but if I have any issues i will let you know! Thanks again!

Udara
Anytime my bro! Be sure to upload any new pics of your progress with this car to Instagram! :)
K-Business