Dilemma Regarding my SR5

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
imprecel
My tercel:: 1988 SR5 Wagon, 5th gear delete (lol), 1979 Subaru brat beached and unconscious, 1996 Impreza L coupe w/ cusco coilovers legacy 17s wrx seats momo steering wheel, 1999 Outback Impreza w/ Forester suspension and roof rack

Dilemma Regarding my SR5

Post by imprecel »

So I bought an SR5 two weeks ago and got it running. Runs and drives fine, today I found out 5th is a ghost. I read around on here and it seems like the transmission is on a road to nowhere good. I looked for parts for a rebuild, couldn't really find anything, so I'm at a place now where I am kind of concerned on what to do. I'm around 800 into this car (a lot being that I am a college student), and I guess its kind of decision time on what I should do. Should I sell? Repair it? Or ignore the problem as I have come to learn with my two Subarus. I figured you fine people would be the ones to ask.
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Dilemma Regarding my SR5

Post by NWMO »

Imprecel,

How does it act in the first 4 gears and do you need highway speeds or mostly just around town driving?

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Hoodwagon
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 Tercel SR5

Re: Dilemma Regarding my SR5

Post by Hoodwagon »

Looks like you didn't get too many responses yet!?! Any decision? If it were me and I was so minimally invested (800 bucks!) I would likely walk. If what you need is transport 'like today'. If you want to work on it in your free time and don't mind being hassled by the mechanical gremlins of a 30'ish year old car then I would keep it! Super cool, unique, and likely only going to go up in value.
1985 Toyota Tercel SR5
Pacific Northwest, USA