Looking For a Interior Heat / cold housing behind the dash.

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Buzzard67
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1984 Toyota Tercel Delux

Looking For a Interior Heat / cold housing behind the dash.

Post by Buzzard67 »

Hi, I broke both of the levers that control the cold / heat ( bottom ) and The air flow lever Heat , Vent , Bilevel and defrost ( upper ). I have been told I could bring the broken pieces in to be welded , but I would really like to swap out the whole housing that sits behind the dash where the cables attach to. I don't know the proper name or part number so from this point on I will call it the cold / heat Plastic and metal lever housing that sits behind the dash.
If any member has a part car that still has this part I would be interested for a reasonable price.
Or if there are any other Model Toyotas that have the same configuration of this part I would like to know make and model years. Then maybe I would be able to track them down on my own by going to the salvage yards. I know it's getting harder and harder to find cars from the 1980s in my local junk yards.
My make and Modle:
Toyota Tercel 4WD DXL 1984
Thanks
simon84
Top Notch Member

Re: Looking For a Interior Heat / cold housing behind the dash.

Post by simon84 »

I was fixing my heater controls a while back and broke my hot-cold selector lever. So I made a new one that is much better. I used a thicker piece of metal than original. It was fashioned from a piece of shelving bracket, probably around 16 gauge steel. I will look to see if I have any pics to post.

The reason these things break is that the cables that control all the heating flaps etc. get gummed up and sticky. There's a thread on here somewhere about lubricating them by attaching a rubber hose on the end and spraying lubricant into the cable housing. Once that's done, they run smooth and you won't break the control levers. A bit of a pain to pull the controls and lube the cables but it's nice once it's all working again.
Driver: 87 Tercel SR5, white, 4ac, weber carb (aka the Tercedes)
Road Tripper:95 Mitsubishi Delica L400 2.8L Turbo Diesel
Motorbike: 94 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6
Project Car:Red 68 Plymouth Sport Fury III
Previous Tercel:Orange 84 Tercel 4wd (aka the pumpkin)
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Re: Looking For a Interior Heat / cold housing behind the dash.

Post by ARCHINSTL »

simon84 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:12 pmThe reason these things break is that the cables that control all the heating flaps etc. get gummed up and sticky. There's a thread on here somewhere about lubricating them by attaching a rubber hose on the end and spraying lubricant into the cable housing. Once that's done, they run smooth and you won't break the control levers. A bit of a pain to pull the controls and lube the cables but it's nice once it's all working again.
Here is the link: https://tercel4wd.com/forums/viewtopic. ... ilit=cable
I've used it and it is a brilliant solution- for ALL cables!
Props to member c_j !
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain