Front sway bar needed

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Fj40z
My tercel:: 1986 SR5 4wd Tercel

Front sway bar needed

Post by Fj40z »

Having a lot of front end work done to my 86. The sway bar ends look very thin and I’d like to replace it. Any idea where I can find a replacement? Also the front springs and struts are almost shot. I’ve read a bunch here but am still unsure on what the replacement options are. Any guidance would be appreciated.
86 Tercel SR5 4wd 5 speed
1997 FZJ80 LandCruiser triple locked
1983 FJ60 LandCruiser
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Front sway bar needed

Post by Petros »

not sure where to find a front sway bar, might be some forum members with parts cars that can help you.

Usually people replace the front struts with inserts, the strut can be rebuilt. all the rubber parts are available, as is all the front suspension "wear" parts (bushings, ball joints, rod ends, etc). you will appreciate replacing any worn or damaged suspension parts, not too costly nor difficult to do yourself. but I would advise against replacing the strut insert unless you have quality spring compressor.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
Fj40z

Post by Fj40z »

Thanks for all the great info Petros!
1983 FJ60 LandCruiser
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Fj40z,

Maybe someone here is parting a car, but you would want to make sure it isn’t necked either.

I went with heavier replacement springs in the front and the suggested KYB inserts, working great. I also went with the Pathfinder springs in the rear and a heavier duty mono-shock. I was looking for a little lift and prefer the new stance.

Should be easy to find with the search function and my screen name. There are times when Google can be better than the site search engine as well.

Good luck. If you have a hard time finding it, post back and I will get a link for you.

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
Fj40z

Post by Fj40z »

Thanks NWMO!! I’ll read up on your build. Gottolovem hooked me up with a nice sway bar so hopefully I’ll be back on the road again soon. Daily driving my Landcruiser is killing my wallet LOL
1983 FJ60 LandCruiser