Rear bearings

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Rear bearings

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

I got the rear axles out this evening. Bearings and seals I ordered look good. Will drop off to the “shop” Monday to let them cut old off and press new on. Fought a little, but after fabbing a slide hammer, they came right out.

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Re: Rear bearings

Post by NWMO »

A pic of the slide hammer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

Pretty clever, Chris!
As we used to say in the Army: "Field Expediency!" Do they still say that?
Tom
T4WD augury?
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey all,

It was the drivers side bearing needing attention, I decided to replace both. I guess (from other posts), it’s typically the passenger side that fails first.

Tom - The desire to be a pirate was fleeting, but the desire to be a steamboat captain never faded for Samuel. Fun quote!

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Hey All,

Just an update. I got the old bearings/keepers cut off and the new bearings/keepers pressed on for $20 total. It must have gone well for him. I installed the rear axles on Saturday and all went well, other than I installed one of the seals deeper than spec as my attempt at an installation tool was not successful. It looked to me like the seal should still ride on the keeper, but I will watch it for an oil leak.

I started addressing some additional rust repair (structural) before I replace the driver's side half-shaft and tie rod end. I did put my new wheels/tires (larger) on the rear and was happy to find no rubbing during normal driving. I'm sure off roading would prove different, but I use as a daily driver, so not too worried about it. You can see clearance to the front is around 1" or just under as I installed the Pathfinder springs earlier this year and the added height pulls the axle forward ever so slightly.

After the half-shaft, etc. I will get a front end alignment and put the new wheels/tires on front. Here is a pic of the larger wheels/tires on the rear.

Bondo is pretty rough on the rear, but I'm not sure what happened with the photo ?? looks crazy weird back there. I will post a pic when I get the bigguns all the way around :)

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain