Rear wheel bearings

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Rear wheel bearings

Post by NWMO »

So,

It's my turn for rear wheel bearings. Passenger side is pretty rough, driver side less than smooth, so I figure I will do both sides.

I'd rather do myself, as I trust the shops less and less on these older cars. That said, I consider myself a seasoned shadetree mechanic. My older son and I replaced the water pump and timing belt on his 2004 2.4L DOHC Chrysler a couple of weeks ago and it is running well.

I have access to a shop and can presumably fabricate the SST tools. It looks like I would want a slide hammer to pull the axles, small cutter/grinder for scoring the retainer rings. What is needed to press the bearing off and on??

All comments welcome.

TIA,

Chris

PS - I would replace axle seals as well, anything else I should be thinking about?
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

In remembrance of my friend ARCHINSTL:

T4WD augury?
"Oh, do not ask, 'What is it?' Let us go and make our visit."
T.S. Eliot - "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
atoyta
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 3 wagons now

Re: Rear wheel bearings

Post by atoyta »

If you weld you can make a tool similar to this:
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-d ... icate.html
My buddy used box instead of tube to make his, works the same.
I am assuming you have access to a press.
ARCHINSTL
Goldie Forever
My tercel:: Goldie is a 1986 SR5 attualmente con Weber/also owned the first T4WD in STL in late '82

Post by ARCHINSTL »

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6447
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5784&p=42555&hilit=bearing#p42555
I removed the old bearings and retainers and my local garage pressed on the new ones for just $25 back in 2010.
Tom M.
T4WD augury?
"Now and then we had a hope that, if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."
Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

The boss' shop does not include a press, I have a buddy with a "pipe bending" press. I'm not sure if it could be made to work or would be heavy enough. It might be time to check Harbor Freight. How many tons is advised on the press?

Chris
Psalm 37:4 "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart"

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

I called my buddy with the pipe bending press and he has a 12 ton press for bearings etc. as well. He even has some ovens after getting kicked out of the kitchen a few times. How easily should the "keeper" slip on once it's heated to 150? Do you still have to press it on? or can you just tap it on with a flat punch, etc.?

Any preference on parts supplier? I use Rock Auto most of the time, but was thinking a better grade NAPA part might be wise on a job like this. Rock Auto's pricing makes it tough to pass up, but on a job like this, I don't want to do it again. The bearing I put on the front of my Geo Prizm was from Rock Auto and it was growling after only 6 months, wouldn't want that. Of course, it may have been the shop that pressed it in as well, the genesis of my desire to do myself. If Rock Auto shows a brand name, are they seconds? or likely the same quality as elsewhere.

I also got my MC from them 2.5 yrs ago for the Rusty Frog. It still stops the car, but I have to pump the brakes sometimes. No external leaks and I've never had to add fluid, but there is a leak on the inside that was there very early that I have just lived with that will need addressed before long. On the MC, it's a pretty easy job, so not a big deal.

TIA,

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

a rear axle bearing is a fairly straight forward replacement, I have not needed a slide hammer to get the axle out. I just tapped outward on the wheel flange and it worked its way out. Once it was rusted in place, with penetrating oil and much effort I got it out, but a big slide hammer would have been faster if I owned one.

I highly recommend taking the axle and your new bearing to an auto machine shop and have them press off the old bearing and install the new one. if you have a good press you can likely get it off yourself, but the risk of injury and/or damage to the axle or new bearing installing it is high. there is a lot of pressure on the assembly when you are pressing it together.

Pulling the axles yourself, and having a machine shop actually change out your bearings, is a simple job and worth doing. I have tried a number of means to remove and replace axle bearings in a home shop, none worth the effort. I have used hydraulic presses before (when my employer had one), but not many shops will let you use theirs. Besides, their experience is well worth paying for, it is not costly to have them do it, typically about $40. Done in an hour or so.

Rock auto for bearings is okay if you only buy bearings made in Japan or the USA, the cheap brands are made in China and I have not had good luck with any of them, about a year's life. Not worth it. but get the quality brands at RockAuto, you will likely get the same brand that Toyota or NAPA uses anyway.

One time my wife chewed me out for buying "cheap" brake parts for her Mazda from Rockauto (a mechanic friend warned her rockauto sells junk, and only buy from NAPA). When the shipment arrived from Rockauto, all the parts were in NAPA boxes, all the parts were made in Japan. Good stuff. Silenced my wife's complaints.

Good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
helipilot77
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 1984 SR5 wagon

Post by helipilot77 »

I just replaced my rear axle bearings last year with genuine Koyo replacements. I think that my passenger side bearing might be going bad already.
Any ideas what could cause a failure so soon?
. / TOYOTA
./_| |/|/ |]
atoyta
Top Notch Member
My tercel:: 3 wagons now

Post by atoyta »

Check for bent axle or axle tube.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Post by Petros »

I have had the same thing happen. The passenger side tends to get bashed against the curbs when parking. I suspect this puts small dents in the sides of the race where the balls ride, and it causes the bearing to break down faster. I have replaced twice as many passenger side wheel bearings, both front and rear, than driver's side.

Since I am told this is true for either RHD or LHD countries, it seems the side impacts on the wheels is the culprit.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)
NWMO
Highest Ranking Member

Post by NWMO »

Ok,

Still not sure who's going to press, but RA has Timken or National for $6. Any preference? O'Reilly's has the Koyo for just under $30.

Chris

T4WD augury?

Mark Twain