Occasionally Won't Go Into Reverse

General discussion about our beloved Tercel 4WD cars
Devin
Advanced Member
My tercel:: 1985 SR5

Occasionally Won't Go Into Reverse

Post by Devin »

Every once in a while, my Tercel won't go into reverse in the parking lot. There is no grinding or anything. I will try to creep forward in first gear but that doesn't really help. It will eventually go in after trying for a minute or so. What do you think this could be about?
Thanks
teranfirbt
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '86 SR5 4WD, 5AFE, lifted rear, 195/70/14 tires

Re: Occasionally Won't Go Into Reverse

Post by teranfirbt »

Reverse doesn't have a syncro like the forward gears, so everything has to be relatively lined up. Usually if you put the trans into N and let the clutch spin it for a few seconds it'll go in, but I've had it take a few tries before. If it really seems stuck, I've pulled on the lever toward R and let the clutch out just enough to get the gears spinning, it'd usually pop in and I'd push the clutch back in to prevent serious grinding or car movement.
Petros
Highest Ranking Member
My tercel:: '84 Tercel4wd w/extensive mods

Re: Occasionally Won't Go Into Reverse

Post by Petros »

it seems to happen more often in very cold weather when first starting, might be the really heavy gear oil when it is cold resists the meshing of gears. I put in one quart of synthetic gear oil with three regular quarts of gear oil and have not noticed it being a problem.

you also might consider the plastic parts in the shift lever linkage may be worn and sloppy. If you can find them, they do not cost much, try replacing the plastic cup at the bottom of the shift level. you can do that by removing the center console, remove the rubber boot and the big circlip holding the shift lever into the top of the trans. pull out the shift lever and inspect the condition of the plastic cup on the end of the lever. If it is worn out or sloppy, replace it. also, put some grease on all the parts in the shift linkage, including the lever pivots.

good luck.
'87 Tercel 4wd SR5 (current engine swap project)
'84 Tercel 4wd (daily driver, with on going mods)
'92 Mazda MPV 4wd (wife's daily driver)
'85 Tercel 4wd DLX auto(daughter's daily driver)
'01 Honda Civic (other daughter's daily driver)